• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck pictures

WPNS421

This is a great site and I really enjoy the posts, especially when someone gets a new MV. My biggest problem is reading a post and then trying to get a mental picture of what is what. I wish this site had a picture reference library identifying the types of vehicles like what is an M820A2, M1010 etc. To the people who are new to the MV hobby, it will help identify vehicles. With the hugh amount of knowledge and expertise not to mention the number of MVs owned by collectors it should be easy to assemble a reference catalogue. People are familiar with the US MV's but what is a M36C? It's a Cdn M35 w/Hiab crane.
Is this a good idea :idea:and is it worth the effort??? :roll:. This could be a historical database. Your opinions.
I probably have some adminstrator saying yea a great idea but we have to do the work. Sorry:twisted:

M813A1

Good Idea WPNS421 !! I like your idea and I think it would be a great assett to this web site !! I also thought that there should be a Surplus Dealers list with contact numbers and web addresses to help out people looking for parts !! Another Idea I have is to be able to look at the members by state to help someone find other MV members in the same state ?? I think Chris and Mike have done a Fantastic Job with the Steel Soldiers Site and hope they keep up the Great Job they have done !!

Dave May " M813A1 "

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always download TM 43-0001-31 from the TM section. It had TACOM Data sheets that cover a multitude of vehicles. It's a great desktop reference.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love the idea. Now we just need someone with the time and energy and knowledge to sit down and do it!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the idea. Now we just need someone with the time and energy and knowledge to sit down and do it!
I don't know anyone with those 3 qualities! Maybe we need a pici wiki so anyone can add to it! (here we go again)

Before the last upgrade we did that with the CUCV series, so that people could tell a M1010 from a M1028 or a M1009, etc. I don't know if that is still available--I think it was supposed to be a sticky, but I haven't looked for it lately.

Maybe if we could just bring up that list that Joe had a couple years ago with ALL the M numbers and start putting reference pics to that?

I took that one step further and updated it by vehicle type and weight category for my own use against the possiblity of noting which friend has what vehicle. But it still wouldn't have the CDN verisons of most of the trucks.

Edit
BTW--there are some other sites that have something like this, olivedrab.com is one and another starts with a J, JED something I think.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

It might be going a little far, but with all the posts asking for how much each item would generally cost. Have a pic of each class and a price next to it. Like a truck sitting in the woods would be like $500 and a restored truck being $4000.

I know in DDoyle's books he had a price guide, but you could not picture the it by that. I know there is a lot of discrepency as to cost by items added and missing, but just something in general.

And with my job i could find the time and energy, just not the knowledge.....i know enough to get me in trouble.

This could be done along with the library

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,I vote for a wiki.Maybe just have a few photos of different angles for trucks,trailers,cars,etc along with basic info like engine specs,Makers,years produced.Nothing too indepth like history of the vehicles or so forth.Just basic this is what it is and came with info so if we come across something we have no clue what the M number is and there is no picture in the ads.

I'd be happy to upload my class/type lists for people to add pictures to if someone could tell me how. I can't include the pics I have that correspond because I don't remember where most of them came from (Probably from various threads right here on SS, but that doesn't allow me to republish them.)

Here's one of my lists: the G741/M37 family of vehicles. It is one of the shorter lists out of about 20. Other lists combine manufacturers/eras to keep the total number of lists manageable.

G741
M37 Family of Vehicles
Does not include Canadian (CDN) production.

1st series, 1951 to 1954 manufacture

Model type Qty
M37 w/w cargo 13662
M37 cargo 33742
M42 w/w command 2041
M42 command 6038
M43 w/w ambulance 52
M43 ambulance 6353
M53 cab/chassis
M56 w/w chassis 511
M56 chassis 130
MB-2 Navy fire/rescue 130
R-2 USAF crash/rescue 308
V41 w/w (M201) maintenance 599
XM142 w/w bomb 1
XM152 w/w panel 7
XM152 panel w/windows 5
XM152 panel no windows 150
XM195 utility 3

2nd series, 1957 to 1968 manufacture

M37 B1 w/w cargo
M37 B1 cargo
M43 B1 w/w ambulance
M43 B1 ambulance
M53B1 cab/chassis
M56 B1 w/w chassis
M56 B1 chassis
M56C chassis-hvy
M56C (CMU-3) compressor
M56C (CMU-5)
M201 B1 w/w maintenance
M283 (LWB) cargo
XM708 dump
XM708 E1 dump
XM711 wrecker

Other PowerWagon Models in service, _________ to ________ Manufacture

Gerstenlager Ambulance, Navy

export, ______ to ______ manufacture

M601 (Export) Cargo
M615 (Export) Ambulance

M813A1

Hey Guys !! I was looking through the list of truck photos and came across this Vehicle chart maybe this is something that will help a lot of guys to identify trucks !! he one thing I did notice with this chart is that it has left out all of the M809 Series trucks !!! I hope this helps !!

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always download TM 43-0001-31 from the TM section. It had TACOM Data sheets that cover a multitude of vehicles. It's a great desktop reference.

I just visited the TM link under RESOURSES... Didn't find TM 43-0001-31 though. I'm a newbie and may not have a grasp of the orders as give, Sir! :!: Any assistance would be appreciated :arrow:
Thanks for shedding some light on the topic.:idea:

John
San Angelo, Texas, USA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks