• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck Stalling

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 ended up on the back of a tow truck today. The problem started yesterday on a trip to West Point in New York. I topped off the tank with 10 gallons of diesel and headed out. About 40 miles into the ride the truck lost power and started letting out blue smoke from the tailpipes. It stalled a couple times but started right up both times. I pulled over and I added some winter Diesel Kleen and let it idle for about 10 minutes. After that it ran fine the rest of the way, about 15 or 20 miles. It was about 10 degrees out.

This morning it was 4 degrees when I started the truck. It had not been plugged in all night. It started ok and ran fine for about 40 miles again when it lost power again and stalled. It restarted and I drove about 5 more miles. After that it would not stay running for more than a minute. As of now it's plugged in until I can see if it will run tomorrow and change out the fuel filter.

I hoping it is just gelled up but I don't understand why it would gel after driving 40 miles. Is that possible or am I looking at a new fuel pump or injector pump?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 ended up on the back of a tow truck today. The problem started yesterday on a trip to West Point in New York. I topped off the tank with 10 gallons of diesel and headed out. About 40 miles into the ride the truck lost power and started letting out blue smoke from the tailpipes. It stalled a couple times but started right up both times. I pulled over and I added some winter Diesel Kleen and let it idle for about 10 minutes. After that it ran fine the rest of the way, about 15 or 20 miles. It was about 10 degrees out.

This morning it was 4 degrees when I started the truck. It had not been plugged in all night. It started ok and ran fine for about 40 miles again when it lost power again and stalled. It restarted and I drove about 5 more miles. After that it would not stay running for more than a minute. As of now it's plugged in until I can see if it will run tomorrow and change out the fuel filter.

I hoping it is just gelled up but I don't understand why it would gel after driving 40 miles. Is that possible or am I looking at a new fuel pump or injector pump?

I would start with new fuel filters , if the fuel did gel the paraffin in the fuel turns to wax and plugs the filters,
this can't be reversed with additives .

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
isopropyl alcohol ​works for me. I always keep a bottle in the truck, and when it starts to kick and buck just add it to your tank.

snowtrac nome

Be advised 911 is for emergency use only, use white can power service for maintenance, and you double up on dosage to lower your cloud point even more. After that you are just throwing money into the tank there will be no gain after a double dose per power service engineers.

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the plan for the rest of the winter. The M1028 and my Chevy Cruze will be on a steady diet of the white Power Service. This was the first time in 15 years of owning diesel trucks and cars I had a problem with gelling. I do believe I ended up with a bad tank of diesel at my last fill up.

cucvrus

I think just a bad case of really cold weather. I work at a truck plant and we have brand new ones struggling to get started. -3* this morning and this is going to be the warmest day of the week. Not diesel weather for sure. I am storing all the CUCV plow trucks in a heated building. Right in on the ends of the assembly lines. All unprepared diesel is bad in this weather for sure. I drained the full fuel tank on my M1009 that was setting wrecked for the past 10 years and that fuel is stale. It starts but smokes excessively. Right now I just let it set hooked up to a trailer loaded with wood. Diesel Cruz. Cool car. I had a couple diesel Chevettes back in the day. They always started. Something about foreign diesels. They were made for the world wide climate. Have a great day and stay warm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks