• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck still giving me problems.

koltin

Alright so I have an ongoing problem... the truck steering is sticking and then its like it hops over to the other direction. It has a brand new power steering box. It has pretty worn front end components. But also, I mixed the original fluid and power steering fluid a while ago not thinking. When I changed the box I flushed the fluid all out and put in power steering fluid. Anyone have an idea of whats wrong? Ive been through two different power steering boxes now and they seem fine for the first little while then they start doing the steering stick thing again. All help appreciated.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to fix the worn parts as every thing needs to up to par to properly diagnosis it . It could be a problem with the king pins or some other worn part causing a bind.

ranchhopper

Check and make sure the U bolts are tight on the springs sounds like your axle is sliding on the springs you may have a broken center bolt on one of your springs.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you need to go through your entire front end and fix what is required also check that the parts that are on the truck are the correct ones , many of these trucks have been used as a go to place for people that need parts for civy or DOD vehicles and this will cause headaches, my 1031 was like that , 1/2 shocks etc, also check your halfshaft u-joints , they may be seized , and if you replace them make sure you use new ones with a grease nipples,

ranchhopper

That's also the same problem my company F350 had when the steering U joints went bad you would feel it pull one way then you steer to correct it and all of a sudden it would let go sending you the opposite direction with the snap of the steering wheel.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a Ford Courier truck that had a similar problem. Turn the wheel and the steering would not return to center on its own, you had to help it back. In other words, if you turned the wheel and let go, it would keep going in circles no matter the speed.

So I'm in this tight parking spot behind the flying squadron and I'm in a foul mood. I am even more annoyed that I have to muscle this steering wheel through a 27 point K-turn to get the truck turned around. I yanked the wheel hard and heard something pop, and the steering was suddenly much easier, although somewhat less precise.

What happened was that the tie-rod end under the idler arm on the right side, a sealed unit that required no grease, had taken on water somewhere and the ball got rusty. It became somewhat less than user friendly over time until I broke it clean off in my frustration. After that the left wheel was still under my control but the right wheel had its own thing going on. I was able to move the truck to a bigger parking lot and swap the whole mess out.

So it sounds to me like you've got something in the steering system about to break formation, which would be bad if you're at speed. Like, real bad.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say it sounds to me like you've got something in the steering system about to break too,,check the rag joint it is at base of column at searing gear box rubber unit. I had a vette here doing some of your symptoms,and that's what it was if yours is bad DO NOT DRIVE IT till you change it. They are available at most parts stores.

This will cause you to loose all steering not just some like a tie rod end.

Steve

koltin

Thanks for all the responses guys. Sorry I don't have any feedback for you all. I got tied up with college stuff and am about 2 hours from the truck. when i get back this weekend I'll work on it and hopefully have something to tell you all.

scottladdy

Memory Steer

Perform an internet search on the term "memory steer".
Memory Steer

Memory steer is the term used to describe a vehicle that continues to pull to the left or right after completing a turn in that same direction. A steering wheel (caster) is supposed to assist the driver and help return the wheel to center after a turn. There are many causes for this problem from an improperly installed front end part to a binding or worn front suspension/steering component.

Most likely cause on these old four wheel drive trucks is frozen/binding u-joints in the front axle shafts. However, any part involved in control of the trucks steering that is binding can instigate this condition. As was stated earlier, the only safe approach is to freshen up the front end parts. Nice thing about these trucks is that pretty much everything is designed to be rebuilt.

Caster angle is designed into the suspension geometry of almost all modern vehicles. It provides a self centering action when you "release" the steering wheel after making a turn. To prove it to yourself, sit behind the wheel of the truck while parked. Turn the wheel fully to the left or right and notice how the front end of the truck rises up, lowering back to normal when the wheel is centered. Something in your steering system is overcoming this.

It is a very dangerous condition.

forest522

I concur with many others...don't drive until you've figured this one out. Replace the worn front end parts, then re-assess.

One thing is for certain...replace old rubber! Idler arm, good to check. Have you checked with the maintenance manuals?

good luck sir!

koltin

Alright so I got home and looked at it. The outer coil at the end of the leaf spring isnt tight to the others on either side... on the rear leaf springs all the coils at the mounting point are tight together, but the fronts arent. Could this be the problem? I only have 1 tie rod end that looks bad, the rest have been replaced.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks