• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck wants to go faster when towing a trailer

sandcobra164

I've had a M1028 for some years now. I just got him a M101A1 and have been towing that for a few days. I've always driven him at about 45 to 50 MPH but now that the trailer is behind him, he want's to go 55 MPH at roughly the same push on the throttle. He even seems quieter which makes no sense at all. Am I that confused with how Diesel motors work or where there "sweet spot" is? Do Diesel motors for some reason want an extra load behind them? I would have thought that an extra 1400 pounds would make him more sluggish but I can't even tell that the trailer is back there and now he want's to run faster. Clueless at this point but Sarge loves his new trailer.

blackhueys

maybe less drag now that the trailer is on? I know when I tow my jet ski behind my m1009 it does like what you said.

DieselBob

I know that my 02 F250 with the 7.3 is quieter when towing our travel trailer. I believe it is because with the added load on the engine the cylinder pressure increases and helps in a more complete and efficient combustion cycle.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have found the sweet spot. Last road trip in my Dodge 2500 Cummins, I added about 400 lbs of sand after the first day. with a little attention to the cruise control I was making easily 25-27 mpg vs normal 21-23 on a good day. Over the years I've heard this very common with our trucks. a load of about 500 lbs in the bed makes a big difference. I'm guessing that's the same with sarge. these trucks were designed to carry and pull loads over terrain for quiet a while, makes sense that it'd want more than a bed hanging around.

hodgeb

I've noticed the same thing in my 6.2l van. 500lb-800lb (or maybe more, not really sure) of stuff in the rear, for some reason, makes the engine sing a more even tune and feel a little happier.

The ride is better, too, naturally. ;)

sandcobra164

It makes absolutely no sense to me why a truck would run faster and more efficient with a load but I come from a gasser background. I'm just happy to see the responses confirm that I'm not crazy.

jrobinson5093

Yes a diesel is usually makes more power with a load. I have been to dyno nights where it is a common trick with a diesel to dragg the brakes a little to get a few more hp and tq.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've had a M1028 for some years now. I just got him a M101A1 and have been towing that for a few days. I've always driven him at about 45 to 50 MPH but now that the trailer is behind him, he want's to go 55 MPH at roughly the same push on the throttle. He even seems quieter which makes no sense at all. Am I that confused with how Diesel motors work or where there "sweet spot" is? Do Diesel motors for some reason want an extra load behind them? I would have thought that an extra 1400 pounds would make him more sluggish but I can't even tell that the trailer is back there and now he want's to run faster. Clueless at this point but Sarge loves his new trailer.
I think it's because of the wheels on the trailer. Did I tell you those wheels came off the WC21 that got burned to the ground when my shop burned in 2007??
Oh yes there's a history behind almost everything at the compound.

Last edited:

hodgeb

It makes absolutely no sense to me why a truck would run faster and more efficient with a load but I come from a gasser background. I'm just happy to see the responses confirm that I'm not crazy.
Now now! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Nobody's saying you or anyone else here ain't crazy! :p

Shoprat 19th Engr

One reason is because of the stiff springs . When you hit a bump in the road the tires will come off the ground for a moment so the tires will spin ever so slightly but you will not notice that is why you get beeter fuel milage with a partial to full load in the back of your truck

sandcobra164

I think it's because of the wheels on the trailer. Did I tell you those wheels came off the WC21 that got burned to the ground when my shop burned in 2007??
Oh yes there's a history behind almost everything at the compound.
I researched WC21 trucks after reading this. What I came up with is that the WC21's were built between 41 and 42. So in other words, I've got 70 year old wheels on my trailer now!!! They were actually in great shape save for some surface rust. I took care of that with a drill mounted wire brush and of course paid close attention to the locking rings and where they seat on the rims. Now I understand why Troy informed me that if I were ever going to sale the trailer, the wheels would have to come back to CAMO Compound ownership. No worries there, Briggs loves the trailer hooked behind Sarge. It's not for sale anytime in the foreseeable future. I agree with you IFS, everything does have a story behind it.

Attachments

Atwater

my 08 with the nv4500 seems like it does get better fuel economy if i wind it out more in each gear and cruise at about 60 as apposed to driving like a little old lady.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks