• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Try to purchase a used MEP generator

LMT19

I am new to MEP generator. I try to get one from govliq online auction. I wonder if it is worth to get one from online used but working condition unknown or from ebay at higher price. It takes much trouble to fix or repair problems?
Thanks.

Triple Jim

I wrote this in a previous thread. It is not a recommendation, just my experience:
After a long period of researching generators to back up my whole house and shop, I decided I wanted an MEP-003A. I have too many projects now, and didn't want another one, so I chose to buy one in working condition from an eBay seller with 100% feedback who buys them, fixes them up, and resells them. I'm sure you can find a better deal by buying directly at auction and doing the repairs, but for $2400+shpg I got exactly what I wanted. At the seller's suggestion, I used uShip to find a trucking company with a good price. It turned out to be $330 to have the unit picked up with a lift-gate truck, wrapped in a blanket and stretch wrapped, strapped to a pallet, trucked about 500 miles, and delivered to me on a lift-gate truck. I'm sure the pallet wasn't necessary, but they did it.

I don't see one on eBay at the moment, but they do come up fairly regularly. Of course you're not guaranteed to get a perfect unit from eBay, but I talked to this seller on the phone about the generator ahead of time, got shipping advice, and the feeling he was sincere. He even suggested I do an Internet search for his name to find out more about him.
I bought the MEP-003A this summer, and the only thing I've had to do to it so far is clean and lubricate the starter motor. Now that I have reliable backup power, I would not hesitate to buy another MEP through the surplus route if the price were low enough to leave room for buying parts and putting in my labor. The prices do seem to have gone up since the the big storm increased demand.

storeman

Triple Jim's experience is hard to argue with. I agree with his view that

"Now that I have reliable backup power, I would not hesitate to buy another MEP through the surplus route if the price were low enough to leave room for buying parts and putting in my labor. The prices do seem to have gone up since the the big storm increased demand."

Determine your power needs and decide on a unit, then shop around. I don't put a value on my own labor as MEPs are a hobby to me and minimum wage would be a pipe-dream.

It really depends on your interests.
Jerry 2cents2cents

rickf

I am new to MEP generator. I try to get one from govliq online auction. I wonder if it is worth to get one from online used but working condition unknown or from ebay at higher price. It takes much trouble to fix or repair problems?
Thanks.
There you go! Welcome to the forum. The current crop of generators coming out of G/L all seem to have some sort of issues. Some are cheap and easy like a good cleaning of the fuel system and others are much more expensive like missing V/R boards and locked up engines. Always preview the set and be sure to take pictures from every angle so that way if you win it you can be sure it is the same one and all of the equipment is still on it and undamaged. NEVER leave the site with a damaged unit unless it was that way before you bought it. Once you pull out it is yours, period. No refunds. If you are looking for a turn key unit then E-bay is the way to go, or the classifieds here. Be aware that low hours mean nothing most of the time because the meters could have been change for any number of reasons.

Rick

belig2273

Good morning , I too am new to this site and in need of help with the possiable purchase of a MEP 813A GEN SET. Iam not sure if 400 hz is compatable with house current , the volt rate chart on the unit does say 120/ 240 as well as others. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ... Rick

massey

Good morning , I too am new to this site and in need of help with the possiable purchase of a MEP 813A GEN SET. Iam not sure if 400 hz is compatable with house current , the volt rate chart on the unit does say 120/ 240 as well as others. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ... Rick
You need to find one which supplies 60hz as the 400hz one was probably for aircraft.

rickf

Quick answer, 400 hz generators are good for engine donors, that is about it. You cannot run anything except resistive loads off of them.

Rick

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To convert a 400 to 60 Hz genny, you need to replace everything OTHER than the engine and frame.. it's not worth it. Thats why 400 Hz gennys go for cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks