• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to help a museum identify what they have

vbe75

I had a query from a guy at the Fort Jackson Museum who needs some
technical help with their M62 wrecker & M35 cargo. If anyone can help
then he is Bill Campbell and can be contacted at...

klezmer@sc.rr.com

That was the original message i recived. I already know it is not an M62, but he would like to know what motor is in the truck. Im not sure, asking for a little help. Thanks
Heres some pics.

Attachments

M1075

The truck is an XM816 and the engine is Cummins NHC-250. A thorough review of the operators manual for the M809 series of trucks will yield a lot of good information for the museum.

vbe75

Thanks for the replys. Was thinking a cummins but haven't seen many a wasn't sure. The people there were thinking it was a mack. I will let them know

jwaller

I'll have to ride over and fill them in. wow so close and so uneducated. you'd think they would lift the hood and read on the side where is says cummins.

FrankUSMC

Wow!! they are still "lost" after 30 years! I used to go to that museum when I was in high school back in the 70s. They have got some great stuff, but the staff was clueless on military items. Some of the items I pointed out to them as a young teenager...
1. the WWI display had a 1905 bayonet, dated 1918 (correct for WWI), but it had plastic grips, that made it a WWII rebuild and correct for WWII. The WWI would have had wooden grips.
2. the curator telling a family the roller on the front of the M3 scout car was for pushing over walls. I stepped in at that point and explained how the roller was a de ditching device that was great on paper,it was surpose to roll up the bank of a ditch to keep you from getting stuck , but never worked in the real world.
3. a WWII display, with items marked (you could see them clearly) from the 1950s.
The museum is still worth a visit. Remember, the stuff I just posted was.......damn, a long time ago..
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Blythewoodjoe

I talked with Mr. Campbell a week ago and I gathered they needed to know anything they could about the M35 and the wrecker. Things like the height, width, weight and so forth. They also needed to know where the info was coming from. I bet the manuals available here would have all they need so if anybody knows which ones would have such info, post it here. I have been real busy and just haven't had time to do much. I think the data plate would have most of what is needed if they are there. I think they may need some of this for the display.

Joe Trapp

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks