• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to modify my Deuce to tow a U-haul, inexpensively

Loco_Hosa

Ok, I am making preparations to tow with my truck. Im trying to do it inexpensively, but Im not sure how to determine weight ratings on a home grown job, and Im not sure what U-haul will require to prove its weight capacity.

The two most important requirements:

• Must have 1-7/8" or 2" hitch ball (3,500 lbs. minimum)
  • Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
I am a decent welder, and my roommate works at a machine shop, so I am willing to trade some fab work to keep the costs low. What I need to know is how do we determine weight capacity.

Most important aspect is cost, fallowed by removability. I have searched, and found hitches of many different strengths and capacity's.

KsM715

Build it, load it till it breaks, and rate it a certain % under the breaking weight. Thats the only way to actually determine what it will hold.

25" off the ground is going to be one low hanging hitch on a deuce.

If you search a littleon this site, there are a few home-built hitches that drop pretty low and are also removeable.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you towing? How far? What kind of roads?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What are you towing? How far? What kind of roads?
More important is who are you towing for?

If you are doing this as a commercial venture you better have commercial tow insurance......one accident and a pit bull trial lawyer and you are done.

Just a friendly warning.......your milage may vary.

Loco_Hosa

I am trying to tow a 94 Mustang GT from riverside California to Tacoma Wa on a U-haul Tow dolly.

Just 1200 miles of I-5. I am half tempted to just take the stock Pintle hitch off, use a large chunk of angle iron, making use of the two big bolts that already exist for the stock hitch, and then drilling two more holes on the underside of the frame rail. I would then grab a used drop hitch from CL, cut the square tube off, and weld it to the aforementioned plate. The concern my roommate has (The mustang owner) is that under emergency braking something would fail.

Loco_Hosa

U-Haul may give you a hard time if the tow vehicle is non standard. I think their tow policy was written by lawyers.
Yes, I have questioned this also. I dont want to fabricate up a hitch, then show up and they say that I cant use my truck, but if I show up without a hitch at all, or try to show them a sketch of what I am going to use, they will dismiss me immediately.

Westech

CPL
You do know that a trailer Hitch from a 1987 and down GM truck will bolt right up right?
You did search trailer hitches for deuces right?
and your insurance better cover your truck towing something.

Really that car will be BEAT TO **** from all the junk that gets kicked up from the tires let alone all the grease and oil that will splatter the car from things that are or will be leaking on your deuce.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Rent it using a different truck, then hook it on your hitch, there are a LOT of threads here on adding hitches, you are responsible for the trailer if you wreck it no matter what you are pulling it with

ProviderDriver

Find a friendly trucking depot, like Yellow Freight or a warehouse with a loading dock throw the boss a 50 dollar bill and drive the mustang into the bed and strap it down... Do the same at the other end... That is what I would do, if it fits dimensionally that is...

3dAngus

Interesting, and if the deuce is empty, which I doubt, I would do it exactly that way.

But what is most interesting is my Yellow Freight here in Macon doesn't have a ramp. They can't get a forklift down, and I can't get my pallets up unless I offload and load by hand.
Crazy, I know. Call your freight company to be sure they have a drive up ramp or go to the back of a grocery store after hours and use theirs if they have one. Some do for forklift operations as the back entrance road isn't wide enough for a 18 wheeler to back it straight in to the loading ramp.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Corolla rode home (to Columbia, SC) in the bed of the M36 I bought in Atlanta, GA. Had at least four feet to spare. Regular deuce will be a little tighter, but if you strap and chain it, it won't go anywhere, and the deuce will hardly notice the weight!

ProviderDriver

Interesting, and if the deuce is empty, which I doubt, I would do it exactly that way.

But what is most interesting is my Yellow Freight here in Macon doesn't have a ramp. They can't get a forklift down, and I can't get my pallets up unless I offload and load by hand.
Crazy, I know. Call your freight company to be sure they have a drive up ramp or go to the back of a grocery store after hours and use theirs if they have one. Some do for forklift operations as the back entrance road isn't wide enough for a 18 wheeler to back it straight in to the loading ramp.

Good call, didn't even think of the back side of a grocery store, you could try a H Depot or Lowwwwes.... sometimes even behind some schools too.
I remember my high school had a loading ramp...kinda steep though. Another option is to get a hold of a towing company with a good sized rollback, get the mustang on the rollback, and then on your truck, if the rollback ain't high enough, put your truck on the downside of a hill and the rollback on the upside...

namedpipes

Getting it off at the other end is even easier. Just tie the Mustang to a tree and drive out from under it!

(Seriously though, carrying it in the bed sounds like a great solution)

ClintA

This is interesting to me. I have been trying to figure out how to put a gooseneck hitch on the back of my duece and still pull a 105 army trailer (Not at the same time). I think I have it in my head how to do it, but it would not be low like yours for a U-haul trailer. But mabie think of some kind of flat plate with a reciver hitch welded on the bottom side. They make all kids of drop hitches for lifted pickups.????

AMX

My experience with u-haul has been, if your vehicles are not listed on the "tow vehicle list" and the "towed vehicle list", you will not be able to rent a trailer. Besides, wouldnt it be just as inexpensive to rent their smallest truck (approved for towing)?

Loco_Hosa

Our big fear with putting the mustang in the bed is that heaven forbid the truck doesnt make it, we have a broken truck and a heavy car trapped in it. Even still, we would need a small u-haul trailer for the 2 street bikes, 2 dirt bikes, and a few other belongings. This goes back to needing to have a hitch no more than 25 inches off the ground.

The front end of the mustang is already pretty well damaged. My roommate decided he wanted to park it under an S10, and damaged the bumper, hood, and tore the fender off completely.

Not saying that the bed of the truck ISNT the best way to go, just comparing options. The options we have come up with:

Tow Dolley ($308)
Tow Bar (About the same cost, and we would have something to keep after)
Put the car in the truck, and tow a trailer. ($381)

Loco_Hosa

My experience with u-haul has been, if your vehicles are not listed on the "tow vehicle list" and the "towed vehicle list", you will not be able to rent a trailer. Besides, wouldnt it be just as inexpensive to rent their smallest truck (approved for towing)?
Well, we are confident that we can construct a hitch for less than $100 total, and to rent a U-haul truck and trailer is over $1,000, before fuel.

I think I need to look into other rental options, and/or maybe just go with a tow bar.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks