• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tubes for 35" tires in a 31" tire fitment ?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1: I concur with gringeltaube .. You could get creases / overlaps when you assemble it, which will create friction "sores" and could eventually fail.. It does depends on how far "off" the tube is, the type of use or speed it will see, and the thickness of the tube.. This is true with any size or style of tire .. Over the decades I have come across a few old 20" heavy truck tires with "folded" tubes, such as a 1100x22 tube stuffed into a 900x20 tire, and they had survived many years that way.. But those tubes were 1/4" thick heavy rubber with flaps (liners).. They don't make anything close to being that good anymore.

2: The opposite is also true in certain situations, an undersized tube can be forced to stretch to fill the space, leading to immediate failure , or a very short life...

3: We can't trust today's tubes as to their stated or stamped size, name brand, nor alleged "quality".. Mister Chicom is very happy to take our money and leave with no responsibility for our time, aggravation, tire failure, vehicle damage, or more.. We have certain politicians to thank going back many years now, but I am biting my tongue really really REALLY hard..

4: Case in point, a highly-reputable tire dealer/ commercial truck shop I know had issues with Chicom tubes labeled to be a certain size, however, were too small in girth and circumference leading to immediate failure during initial inflation... They also had issues with quality, of course... Ever since, they go to great lengths to NOT purchase chicom items, unless a customer insists on them using "economy" products.. A customer has to sign a waiver if that is the case, and the work / product is not guaranteed

5: I too had been an early victim of such thievery, having purchased online some new 9.00x16.5 tubes having the BF Goodrich name and advertised "made in usa"... The sealed bags they came in as well as the rubber was stamped 900x16.5 , but in reality were only suitable for perhaps a 5.50x16 tire.. The tubes were BF Goodrich, but on them stamped "china." Return shipping and restocking fees for a refund was almost as much as the purchase. 🤬

6: Advice for all of us, buyer be aware ... If you can, put your hands on any rubber tire-related product before purchasing

7: This advice is also for automotive (and home) electrical and plumbing items, as well as consumer goods.. Over the last 2 decades, counterfeit certifications have been discovered on many imported products, mostly coming from one country.. I have been reading about this in trade magazines since the early-2000's.. Fake UL, CSA, ASSE, IAPMO, ASME, and ASTM labeling... When caught, the manufacturers and shippers of these items continue to find creative ways to circumvent our laws while our, ahem,, public servants,, do nothing more than an occasional hand slap .. Sorry, that's my rant for the day.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1: I concur with gringeltaube .. You could get creases / overlaps when you assemble it, which will create friction "sores" and could eventually fail.. It does depends on how far "off" the tube is, the type of use or speed it will see, and the thickness of the tube.. This is true with any size or style of tire .. Over the decades I have come across a few old 20" heavy truck tires with "folded" tubes, such as a 1100x22 tube stuffed into a 900x20 tire, and they had survived many years that way.. But those tubes were 1/4" thick heavy rubber with flaps (liners).. They don't make anything close to being that good anymore.

2: The opposite is also true in certain situations, an undersized tube can be forced to stretch to fill the space, leading to immediate failure , or a very short life...

3: We can't trust today's tubes as to their stated or stamped size, name brand, nor alleged "quality".. Mister Chicom is very happy to take our money and leave with no responsibility for our time, aggravation, tire failure, vehicle damage, or more.. We have certain politicians to thank going back many years now, but I am biting my tongue really really REALLY hard..

4: Case in point, a highly-reputable tire dealer/ commercial truck shop I know had issues with Chicom tubes labeled to be a certain size, however, were too small in girth and circumference leading to immediate failure during initial inflation... They also had issues with quality, of course... Ever since, they go to great lengths to NOT purchase chicom items, unless a customer insists on them using "economy" products.. A customer has to sign a waiver if that is the case, and the work / product is not guaranteed

5: I too had been an early victim of such thievery, having purchased online some new 9.00x16.5 tubes having the BF Goodrich name and advertised "made in usa"... The sealed bags they came in as well as the rubber was stamped 900x16.5 , but in reality were only suitable for perhaps a 5.50x16 tire.. The tubes were BF Goodrich, but on them stamped "china." Return shipping and restocking fees for a refund was almost as much as the purchase. 🤬

6: Advice for all of us, buyer be aware ... If you can, put your hands on any rubber tire-related product before purchasing

7: This advice is also for automotive electrical and plumbing items, as well as consumer goods.. Over the last 2 decades, counterfeit certifications have been discovered on many imported products, mostly coming from one country.. I have been reading about this in trade magazines since the early-2000's.. Fake UL, CSA, ASSE, IAPMO, ASME, and ASTM labeling... When caught, the manufacturers and shippers of these items continue to find creative ways to circumvent our laws while our, ahem,, public servants,, do nothing more than an occasional hand slap .. Sorry, that's my rant for the day.
Yes Sir!
You are right on all points...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is good advice, but it should also be directed to the big retailers - I mean their responsible buyers (most of them not having a technical background... !)

Keep in mind that the Chinese make excellent quality products, too. But usually it is just their lower-priced options (call it chicom junk) that is more attractive because it brings more money, fast.
"Mr. Chicom" they are smart enough to manufacture what their customers want and pay for. Not what the customer should buy...

I once visited a big shop tool manufacturer in Jiaxing, looking for floor- and bottle jacks: In their showroom, the typical 2-ton floor jack (to carry in your car trunk), they had at least half a dozen of them, sitting side by side. All were the same description, size, color, etc. But their prices went from like $15 up to $25. Only after taking a closer look I knew why... And before I could ask, the salesman pointed to the cheaper models saying "these two are our bestsellers, overseas..."

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the salesman pointed to the cheaper models saying "these two are our bestsellers, overseas..."
yep, I agree . .There is some good stuff out there.. I was being very broad about the situation without intent to slam every import.

You hit it right on the head.. In the US there are many who jump at price without considering quality. I myself have done it and have been bitten.. In the US we often run to the hardware or parts store the minute we need the parts. Most places have nothing on the shelf except the cheap chicom stuff and we are forced to buy it if we need to be up and running quickly. My son-in-law came back from the auto parts store one day, proud of himself for buying a torch "sparker" for just a dollar. I asked if it worked. He gave me a dirty look, squeezed it to "spark" it, and the head promptly broke off. I asked him where it was made. He looked, and there it was. Not worth the aggravation to try to get his money back. He lost his dollar.

Yep, it was the kid's own fault.. However, minimum quality standards should be higher if they are currently being met. I doubt there's much enforcement these days. And as mentioned, there are safeguards for some products, however, counterfeiting and other games are played to circumvent that. It puts light on another problem in the US, of our own doing. We have become accustomed to convenience. I want to take the extra time to do my research, buy good stuff ahead of time, and keep a good inventory of parts and supplies. There has been many times I've been lazy about it or too busy. The evils of convenience have contributed to my own "suffering".

The "quality" situation has always been a retailer's trap.. If they stock pricey good stuff and cheap junk together, the junk will always be the best seller when there's a broad enough price difference.. If they only have pricey good stuff, many people go elsewhere, which happened to the tire dealer/shop that stopped offering cheap imports alongside the good stuff... He lost customers, however, he said he has to sleep at night and it's a relief the phone doesn't ring with complaints about failed products like it previously did.

To be clear, I have no issue with imports as long as they meet the same QC standards required here and have the proper (not counterfeit) safety certifications. The blame for poor-quality junk being allowed into the US is on the shoulders of manufacturers, politicians, regulatory agencies, and consumers. I have walked out of many stores thoroughly disgusted and empty-handed because junk was on the shelves with no other alternative

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
👍 .... Exactly, well said!

And speaking about truck & trailer tires made in China, if you ever tried "Double Coin", I'm sure you'd want to buy again.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
yep, I agree . .There is some good stuff out there.. I was being very broad about the situation without intent to slam every import.

You hit it right on the head.. In the US there are many who jump at price without considering quality. I myself have done it and have been bitten.. In the US we often run to the hardware or parts store the minute we need the parts. Most places have nothing on the shelf except the cheap chicom stuff and we are forced to buy it if we need to be up and running quickly. My son-in-law came back from the auto parts store one day, proud of himself for buying a torch "sparker" for just a dollar. I asked if it worked. He gave me a dirty look, squeezed it to "spark" it, and the head promptly broke off. I asked him where it was made. He looked, and there it was. Not worth the aggravation to try to get his money back. He lost his dollar.

Yep, it was the kid's own fault.. However, minimum quality standards should be higher if they are currently being met. I doubt there's much enforcement these days. And as mentioned, there are safeguards for some products, however, counterfeiting and other games are played to circumvent that. It puts light on another problem in the US, of our own doing. We have become accustomed to convenience. I want to take the extra time to do my research, buy good stuff ahead of time, and keep a good inventory of parts and supplies. There has been many times I've been lazy about it or too busy. The evils of convenience have contributed to my own "suffering".

The "quality" situation has always been a retailer's trap.. If they stock pricey good stuff and cheap junk together, the junk will always be the best seller when there's a broad enough price difference.. If they only sell only the good stuff, many people go elsewhere, which happened to the tire dealer/shop that stopped offering cheap imports alongside the good stuff... He lost customers, however, he said he has to sleep at night and it's a relief the phone doesn't ring with complaints about failed products like it previously did.

To be clear, I have no issue with imports as long as they meet the same QC standards required here and have the proper (not counterfeit) safety certifications. The blame for poor-quality junk being allowed into the US is on the shoulders of manufacturers, politicians, regulatory agencies, and consumers. I have walked out of many stores thoroughly disgusted and empty-handed because junk was on the shelves with no other alternative
Bingo!

You hit the nail on the head.
It really pains me to see so many folks put Chicom parts onto these trucks.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
speaking about truck & trailer tires made in China, if you ever tried "Double Coin", I'm sure you'd want to buy again.
have not seen that name.. I no longer buy new tires for anything except one car... I buy 99% of my tires used-guaranteed from a truck salvage yard.. I don't do enough miles anymore.. Heck, I still have a pallet stacked with eight Hawk 1100x20 NDCC's with 90% tread which were trucked from georgia about 15 years ago ! :LOL:

they are gonna outlive me unless my a** gets retreaded

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks