• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tunnel Modification

coggonobrien

I am looking to purchase a hmmwv and would like to have the back seat be some sort of bench. Is there any wiggle room to modify the tunnel and lower it at the rear seat location? It would be to enable a child to ride there, not an adult.

Thanks!

orgnal

I am looking to purchase a hmmwv and would like to have the back seat be some sort of bench. Is there any wiggle room to modify the tunnel and lower it at the rear seat location? It would be to enable a child to ride there, not an adult.

Thanks!
No. The drivetrain is in the tunnel.

McReddy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you do, please consider adding rollover protection.

coggonobrien

Ok, I knew everything was tucked up in there just didn't know if there was any wiggle room. As for the ROPS, are there preferred aftermarket kits or do most fab their own? I also wanted to add shoulder harness seat belts of 4 pt harnesses.

Dock Rocker

Many people have added Jeep Wrangler rear seats to the back between the rear seats similar to the knee available with the H1’s.

I would definitely bend up a cage around that if i did it. Make sure you have good frame attachment to your cage. You will also need to attach your seatbelt anchors to the crossmember under the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bravojmc

Ok, I knew everything was tucked up in there just didn't know if there was any wiggle room. As for the ROPS, are there preferred aftermarket kits or do most fab their own? I also wanted to add shoulder harness seat belts of 4 pt harnesses.
look at Predators Hummer that has four rear seats. They body lifted it and modified the tunnel:

Hkx3

Having owned and driven 3 HMMWV's, the main difference in the H1 civi truck and the HMMWV is the steering column (borrowed from Ford Motor Co) and the ROPS that was integrated into the roof structure.

If you have a typical surplused HMMWV, you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO protection from Falling Objects or RollOver. NONE

If I were to cage one, I would hire it done. I see so many muffler pipe cages, and out-of-spec welds. The cages would do nothing to help you, nothing at all.

I can almost guarantee you dont have the skill or know-how to make a certified cage. However, there are many guys out there in the hotrod/race world that can

Screw around and roll that pig with your family in there, and a $5k cage is cheap

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks