• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo 400

scrapman

Ask the local mud boggers around you. A local transmission shop should be able to help you. Pick up a couple of the 4 wheel drive magazines and look at the advertisements and call the toll free #s. There is nothing special about whats underneath the truck, it's all GM stuff in an OD green wrapper. Summit & Jeg's would also be a good source if you are doing the install yourself. Why are you looking to replace the converter? If the old one is trashed out, all of the debris has passed through the transmission so a complete replacement would be in order. Converter & transmission from Summit will be around $1000 so that should give you an idea of the price range of what a new in the box deal may cost. A local salvage yard pull out will be 1/3 to 1/2 that price. When you do the job remember to flush the cooler & lines. Let us know what you do plus the costs so that the next person that does this can have some good information from your experience to help them out. Thanks for coming into the room and we all hope that what you read here may help you.

scrapman

Okay,this is a simple fix. Just go to your local chain type auto parts store tell them you want a converter for a motorhome/4 wheel drive application & while you are there get a valve body shift kit, filter/screen & fluid, also get a front pump seal and tailshaft seal. The shift kit is an easy install and come with instructions for varying degrees of firmness. Total costs I would guess to be under $300. If you are a consumer of the devil's ale your cost may increase substantially.:wink:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are a consumer of the devil's ale your cost may increase substantially.:wink:
This is like a sword cutting me to the quick! I found out many moons ago that my parts consumption while out guttin' was directly related to the amount of alcohol consumed. Once I learned to separate the two activities, my broken parts expenses were reduced 10 fold.

A-line

The Trans has been going out the last few rides I have been on. It finally bit the dust. I learned a long time ago about the drinking and parts from watching my son. I dont drink.

Coal Cracker

As a trans rebuilder , and very knowledgeable about the 400, I wouldn't go to a parts store, (Advance, Auto Zone ETC) and get a converter. I've had nothing but problems with them, diffrent stators installed , wrong thrust bearings, pi$$ poor quality.

We deal with transtar www.transtarindustries.com

Call em up and tell them what you have, and they'll hook you up.

Tiypically we use their Dacco rebuilds. and have used them in motor homes with 400's and heavy trail rigs with 350's and 400's. , with superb results

m38inmaine

flmv.net has them in the box, I think they were around $80, I recently installed one in my truck and it works great.