• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo crossover and routing

Dsilverline

Hey guys,

I'm installing the 6.5l turbo parts on my 6.2l diesel K5 blazer. As I have more travel than a standard street truck I think my crossover routing plans are more limited? I believe the stock 6.5s had a driver side drop and different shaft angle so that crossover doesn't apply.

If I run in front part of the oil pan it seems like the axle will hit. Running around the front of the engine seems hardly doable. If I run near front of tranny crossmember under driveshaft U joint it might clear but I'd lose ground clearance.

The one way I know will have zero clearance problems is way back behind the transfer case. This seems a bit long though as I think around 11ft. long crossover.

So will this cause a bunch of lag or engine imbalance issues? Should I really be unbolting my leaf springs to see exact up-travel for measurement and try and get it shorter?

Thanks guys

Barrman

The shortest path in theory is the best for the turbo. However, we are talking about a low revving engine in a 6000 pound truck. Sports car throttle response will never be achieved.

Ground clearance really isn’t an issue above the axle and between the spring hangers. Between the engine and transmission pans is the most used route people take when doing this conversion. Just plan to remove it for starter and flywheel work.

The turbo down pipe is the biggest issue with the GM turbo in a square body truck. There is a guy on eBay selling a flattened pipe he claims will clear the floor without a body lift. Staying round between the frame rails means a body lift. Most people go outside the frame rail and dump in front of the rear axle.

Dsilverline

Cool, I'll take a second look at those locations.

Yeah, due to installing aftermarket AC and running cable inside the frame rail to relocate the batteries the normal downpipe location is a no-go. My plan is
to route down the back of the wheel well in the widest opening spot, outside the frame as you said and dump in front of rear wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks