• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo doghouse Radio Deck

erasedhammer

I've been trying to understand what exactly is needed to make a normal radio deck into a one that fits over the turbo doghouse.

Is it just the extended base?
Are there spacers between the a pillar and back of the deck?
Is the turbo deck itself any different than the non turbo one?

Wire Fox

I've been trying to understand what exactly is needed to make a normal radio deck into a one that fits over the turbo doghouse.

Is it just the extended base?
Are there spacers between the a pillar and back of the deck?
Is the turbo deck itself any different than the non turbo one?
The difference is the feet. For the standard HMMWV, the feet are just large enough to bolt to the floor and to the radio deck support posts. For the turbo doghouse, you replace those feet with ones that are a tall "U" shape, which simply places the deck and posts up higher.

Here's what they look like: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqVHJCcE-f1GDlNIBPog2knm5w~~/s-l300.jpg

Try searched for "radio deck tall feet" "extended feet" or something similar to that to find a set. Someone had radio deck sets for sale on here and they might have some of those feet if you ask nicely...

erasedhammer

The difference is the feet. For the standard HMMWV, the feet are just large enough to bolt to the floor and to the radio deck support posts. For the turbo doghouse, you replace those feet with ones that are a tall "U" shape, which simply places the deck and posts up higher.

Here's what they look like: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/(KGrHqVHJCcE-f1GDlNIBPog2knm5w~~/s-l300.jpg

Try searched for "radio deck tall feet" "extended feet" or something similar to that to find a set. Someone had radio deck sets for sale on here and they might have some of those feet if you ask nicely...
And thats it? Thats the only difference?

Wire Fox

And thats it? Thats the only difference?
Yes, unless you're getting into the M1114s and other newer series, in which case they relocate the entire assembly slightly rearward and add in a special bracket for other equipment/gun mounts on armament carriers. Anything A1 and older should only be a difference of feet.

This one shows the A1 and older setups: TM 9-2320-280-24P-2
This one shows the A2 and newer setups: TM 9-2320-387-24P
The extended feet aren't actually pictured in the A1 manual, but that really should be the only change, since the radio deck mounts to the floor and the crossover vent, not the doghouse itself.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Yes, unless you're getting into the M1114s and other newer series, in which case they relocate the entire assembly slightly rearward and add in a special bracket for other equipment/gun mounts on armament carriers. Anything A1 and older should only be a difference of feet.
1504890483479-206720913.jpg

This is my doghouse.
Do you think all I need is the extended feet?

Wire Fox

View attachment 698561

This is my doghouse.
Do you think all I need is the extended feet?
That's a standard turbo doghouse. As I had just added into my post above, the radio decks don't actually mount to the doghouse itself. All you have to do is just get clearance over extra height. The radio decks are drilled with two sets of holes on its upper mounting brackets that attach to the crossover vents. On my non-turbo HMMWV, the upper holes are what will attach, OR the lower holes will attach if I'm using the full-size lower shelf. I imagine that on the turbo doghouse and the extended feet, the lower holes will line up just right. Worst case, you have to find or make an upper bracket to completely attach it. But I'm 100% that the radio deck itself is identical in both setups and that the extended feet are the primary item needed to make the radio deck work with the turbo doghouse.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what a turbo dog h. looks like and a standard tray with the tall feet with bar.
DSC_000597.JPG

erasedhammer

Here's what a turbo dog h. looks like and a standard tray with the tall feet with bar.
View attachment 698571
I've seen that part on ebay. only problem is the bottom side looks like the only mounting holes are in the middle, requiring drilling into the body.
Why could these tall feet just use the same 4 bolt holes that the small feet use? Why do I need that support bottom plate?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Feet hole pattern different and don't line up.
The bar has 3 spacers welded on where the 3 attach points are.
Just drill the holes and be done with it.

erasedhammer

Feet hole pattern different and don't line up.
The bar has 3 spacers welded on where the 3 attach points are.
Just drill the holes and be done with it.
Why does the assembly use that bar? What's it's purpose? I could save a lot of time if it were just two tall feet that use the existing bolt holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks