• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo exchange

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at that nasty greasy TD motor, I love it. I've been hovering over that new (to me) engine for a few days now. Say, that turbo looks just like the one on the LDS parts engine.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, you should have drilled and tapped for a pyro sensor while you had the turbo off. Sould have reminded you...
The image below shows the turbo w/waste gate from the LDS-465-1A that I had. Next to it is the "D" turbo I installed in my truck.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it really depends on what you have! The LDS outside has a "D" turbo, no 'gate. The only one I've seen that consistently has the 'gated turbo is the LDS427. Hey Bjorn, does the manifold neede to be drilled from the bottom or can it be drilled from the side?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bjorn, Did you have that wastegated turbo on before then swap out for the "D" turbo? If you did, was there any difference in performance between the two?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never used the waste gate turbo. It was on an LDS engine, it was parted out
and sold. Got the engine back in 1993, so it's all history.
I like the "D" turbo, though, it's not a whistler, but the sound will give you goosbumps. :)

rdixiemiller

I'll drill my manifold tomorrow, since my truck will be down for a few days. I'm going to eventually install a EGT and Boost gauge setup.
Bjorn
Where did you tap the intake for the boost gauge?

RANDYLBARNES

Why do they want you to drill the hole there? One would think that it would be better closer to the middle of the manifold so you could get temp info from both ends?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats about as middle of the manifold as you can get. Its right above the turbo which is in the middle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks