• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo finally added

K9Unit

Well I was finally able to find a turbo setup for my deuce. The original non turbo exhaust finally gave out on me leading to just a straight pipe and not wanting to burn any valves I finally decided to tackle the project. I took everything off the parted off deuce and was hoping the installation onto mine would go just as easy, no such luck. I would say my truck probably has the original engine so most of the exhaust bolts you couldn't even get a socket or wrench on from the ends being rusted off.

Finally getting all the bolts loose that would come out I cut off the rest that were froze up, I was able to get the 2 back studs out of the original manifold and bought 2 news studs to reinstall. I put antisieze on all the new exhaust bolts with washers. Over all it wasn't to bad. The whole exhaust I took off the turbo truck was basically brand new, after finally determining which area on the fender should be cut bigger I tackled that. Believe it or not it the longest and stupid part was trying to get the J pipe down and through the inner fenderwell and then yesterday I just happen to find a thread where the cut out for the non turbo is different than on the turbo trucks. I didn't know anyone local I could of compared them too.

To the Old heads on this site you should be proud *lol* I was able to find just about all the info I needed by doing previous searches on this site which helped lead to which TM had the information I needed. I debated setting back the timing 5 degrees just because with it being advanced would give me a little more power but since I didn't have the time to install a boodt gauge or pyro I didnt want to chance it, so I retarded it the other day. That wasn't to bad I need a few new gaskets for the timing windows and front cover now but I was able to find them new and they are on the way. I buttoned her up temp. and started her up and she sounds great. I believe its a little more responsive, I haven't seen a huge amount of power increase but thats fine with me. I didn't really install it for more power. I believe the smoke has cleared up a little but not as much as I thought. She does have the whistle because I decided on the C turbo but its not as near as bad as I think some people have mentioned. I think alot of it is just what you have been around....

Overall, I'm very pleased so far, I have alot of other things that will be getting done to her in the next couple of months... This just shows how much info this site has and how much help many people have contributed. I can take some pics of the end result but I'm sure most of us have already seen the basic pics from previous threads.

Sounds like you went about this in the right way. When searching thru the forums and TMs for a project or repair, I find alot of information that will help with other issues on my trucks.
Pictures are always good, so post away.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, you did it right. The turbo add shouldn't do much for power at all. Once you get a pyro, you can start adding fuel to the mix and not blow up the motor. Good job, great write up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks