• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo ID help.

forklift

I recently bought two ldt -465 engines out of great lakes IL from GL. I finally was able to go get them last weekend. I bought them because my truck doesn't have a turbo, and I want to convert. I opened the boxes to inspect them and noticed they were very different. One is huge, probably twice as big or more than the other. Can any of you tell me what I have from that? I initially thought I had bought a 5 ton engine(it is written on one container), but it says LDT-465 on it. From the reading I've done on this forum, I thought there were two types of turbos, whistler, and ...well the other. I was going to just swap the engine into my truck but they have both been torn into. I guess that means conversion. Which one would be better? Is there something I should do to make sure they are any good? I did pull the tape they had used to cover the holes, and they both spun well.Also, if someone could save me some time and tell me where the temp sending unit is, I would really appreciate it. thanks, jake.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll try to help but need a closer pic of the turbos. The pic on the bottom looks to have the waste gated turbo that many 5 tons come with. It has the bigger intake adapter too. The other could be a "C" or a "D" tough to tell from the pics. Both appear to have been used in 5 tons as they have the different bellhousing mounting the starter on the drivers side. Have a looksee at the oil pans. Bet the bigger sump is in the rear. The gated turbo would probably require exhaust mods from stock. Only deuces I've ever seen with gated turbos were LDS427 powered. Grab up a few side shots of the motors and a front shot of each.

Westech

CPL
the first one looks like a "C" turob the lower one looks like a 5 ton multi. look at the turbo.. wastgate! and that tin cover, starter on the driver side.. that would be a great transplant in to a deuce or part it out to a 2 1/2 ton block. that truck would haul a55!

forklift

Would a 5 ton motor work in a duece? What would the difference be? The one that says "5 ton" on the container, says ldt-465 on the ID plate. Did 5 ton trucks use that motor too? I'll include the rest of the pictures I have. they're not closeups, but different angles. I'm also putting the auction link. maybe that would help.I'll open them up and take some better pictures. thanks for the help.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=871776

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=871778

Attachments

M35guy

According to the auction, you have one LDT and evidently your other motor IS from a 5 ton, the auctiion says LDS 465. main difference would be power, lots more of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks