• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo identification

Smokinyoda

Picked up a spare engine with what I thought was a C turbo. After getting it home and looking closer I'm not so sure. All Ive see before were C and D turbos, and I know this isnt a D, but not so sure its a C either. Could it be an LDS turbo from an older 5 ton?

Has a rebuild tag from Tead dated 8/91 with a serial number but no part number. Serial number is: 3ld.805.b4785.51

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, that is supposed to be the "high output" turbo. I believe it came on some of the LDS427s.

Edit, I'd be interested in it if it is surplus to your needs.

Smokinyoda

Yes, that is supposed to be the "high output" turbo. I believe it came on some of the LDS427s.
Just my luck... One of the main reasons I bought the engine was to pull what I thought was a whistler and put it on my truck. Yea I'm one of the wierd ones who likes the whistle.

Anyone want to trade this for a C?

stb64

Recheck your serial number. That's a 3LD305, so a serial starting with 3LD.805 makes no sense, but, who knows.
This is the first one I have ever seen with the Schwitzer logo cast into the compressor housing.
This turbo was standard on the early LDT 465-1C, later superceded by the 3LJ319 whistler.
If it was ever used on LDS 427-2 at all, then only as a replacement. The 4-450 's and 4D454C 's used on production LDS 427-2 were much bigger.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So you did good
Now you can't sell it cheap
There is any number of whistlers available
with engine and/or the truck still attached
schwitzer turbo RARE IMG_5627.jpg

I like stuff the most that the manufacture of it was proud
enough to put their own name on it. cool beans

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks