• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo install kit just showed up

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,My turbo kit showed up today.Looks like everything I need minus Exhaust and the Turbo.Anyone else confirm this?Has the intake elbow hicky,slobber tube,bunch of gaskets,bolts,a round adapter thingy,Boots,looks like a down pipe clamp.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you have the oiler inlet tube and oiler drain with fittings.

Drill and tap an 1/8 NPT hole in the exhaust manifold for a future pyro. Plug it or install a K-type thermocouple probe.

Be prepared to enlarge the openeing in the fender for the exhaust and to retard the timing. It should be changed from 25° to 20° BTDC.

Driving "around town", the 25° setting may be okay, but with high loads with a turbo boost of 10 to 12 psi, the timing should be retarded (=injection to occure later in the cycle = closer to TDC) to prevent preignition, at least that's how I understand it.

Who supplied the so called turbo kit? What kind of instructions did you get?

FreightTrain

Banned
Not sure.I will have to go out and look.I think It came with the supply and drain tubes but again,I will have to check.The instructions are a single sheet with some small blue print style diagrams of everything already installed with a written step by step on the left side.

FreightTrain

Banned
oh yea,As for the Pyro.I won't own a diesel without one.Even if the truck is 100% and is a civilian model.You can burn down the engine stock.In our BOOB forums(Ford IDI) the fear is not burning a turbo up;since you loose A LOT of heat between the head and turbo(300-500 degrees in the ford trucks);it is melting down pistons.There have been Several with this issue from people that didn't heed the warnings.Pitted tops,metal transfer from piston to Cylinder,holes burned though,Pistons shattering,etc.

Looks like the hole is big enough in my fender.Appears the fender is from a turbo truck or mine used to be a turbo truck at one time cause there is an extra plate over the hole in the fender to reduce it to the N/A straw.

FreightTrain

Banned
ok,what all will I need to exhaust side wise?I am gonna spend the extra bills for the Stainless set from Saturn.Know I am gonna need a sheild but what else?

FreightTrain

Banned
oh yea,forgot to ask.what do I need to look at when buying a junk yard turbo?I know side to side movement of the shaft and look to see if the impellers have touched the housings but anything else?

Ok,went out and got the install instructions.Says it is "Repair Kit,Engine,Turbosupercharger Replacement" in the blue print info box.US army Tank Automotive Command has a print number of 11684189.Blue print shows a Turbosupercharger 11568459(not included) and on the far left gives step by step install.Center list shows a 13 step removal of 109454184 Turbocharger Assembly and above it the lines Installation of a 11668459 Turbosupercharger assembly on a LDS465-A1 engine Assembly.

It does include the supply and drain tubes.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way to get a complete exhaust is to look for a "clean air" exhaust kit. There are actually quite a few brackets and clamps that you will need besides the pipe itself. This clean air kit includes them all.

You also might want to find a copy of Bjorn's (cranetruck) article in Military Vehicles Magazine. (I think its Dec 02)

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Thanks.Depending what I can find at the Local MV junk yard I might see if Saturn can make me up a custom setup.Clean air setup with stainless exhaust pipes.

mitchsc0tt0

Hi Trying to get my non turbo deuce turbo'd. Quick question is my clean air kit did not come with the airfilter to turbo intake tube do i need to by one or is there some way to use the old parts to connect to turbo? Also does anyone have an instruction manual?

Thanks,

Mitch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks