• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo install problem

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I've got the turbo hung and I'm trying to remove the oil gallery plug in the side of the engine block for the oil supply line. The thing won't budge and I've rounded of the square fitting. I'm planning on heating it up tomorrow and then trying to remove it with a pipe wrench. If that fails, I guess it will have to be drilled and tapped.
Anybody got any other ideas? Anybody have the same problem?

dmetalmiki

turbo gallery

How did you strip that plug? what tool were you using? anywaze if you have a decent welder( machine and man!) weld a GOOD hex on there and remove it WHILE STILL HOT!! with a GOOD & good fitting wrench. AND BREAKER BAR>good luck. I did TWO that way!

Banshee365

RE: turbo gallery

Those fittings are always tight. Never use cresant wrench on those, they'll round off easy. I'd use a piper wrench over that. Heat up around the plug without heating the plug itself too much. I found a large socket that fit it when I did mine.

-Kelly

garp

I have heated plugs and bolts up to get them out but have a candle or some plumbers flux around when you do. Get the item good and hot and them stick the candle on it or smear the flux on. As it cools it wicks the wax/flux in and they come right out. If you have to drill into an oil galley, grease the drill bit up so it holds the chips and they dont enter the opening.

HookAChain

heat up the plug good and hot, and rub crayon around the plug once the plug itself is hot enough to melt the crayon. Repeat it until your through with one crayon or so. The crayon will go into the threads and make it very easy to get out in most cases. I believe this is the same technique garp was saying to use, good luck with it.

FreightTrain

Banned

oh,I might ad.DON'T USE A CHEAP WRENCH.Those chink wrenches flex and stretch and you sill round off what is left.I used a USA made Craftsman with NO flex.

m139h2otruck

Had the same problem with a plug on the front winch, got the correct 8 point socket, then no problem. 12 point sockets round off the 4 corner plugs so don't try them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks