• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Intake Manifold Leak - Causes?

Coonass77

I see a lot of the turbo trucks with oil leaks where the turbo connects to the intake manifold. I'm not a diesel engine or turbo guru by any definition, but this seems to be way more common on these trucks than I would have guessed. What causes it? Is it indicative of a more serious problem than a simple oring/gasket leak? To fix it, does it typically require just new oring/gaskets, or are there other components that fail and cause it?
I realize every truck is different and it could likely be due to a number of different causes, but just looking for some general thoughts/guidance based on past experiences y'all have had. Thanks!

TurboLeak3.jpgTurboLeak2.jpgTurboLeak.jpg

Barrman

I don't know the output size of the turbo. I do know the cross over manifold part has an inside diameter of 2.87 inches. That is such an odd size for a pipe. The single O-ring is very, very thick. I would imagine the turbo output is no more than 2.5 inches. Since the air leaving the turbo could be over 1200° I would guess the O-rings just get brittle with age and shrink some.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a small correction, the "air" leaving the turbo is nowhere near 1200 deg. the exhaust side may get that hot but there is quite a bit of isolation between the exhaust and intake side of the turbo including an oil bathed shaft and housing.

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
o-ring is P/N 5745167 BUT IMHO that much oil there is a problem, Most likely seal out in the turbo ( if lucky) or engine has a lot of blow by being recirculated by the CDR valve. That much oil in the intake is never a good thing.

tomelroy

I have seen that alot on the inspection pics....anyone actually fix this issue and can tell us what the problem was?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks