• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo kit for a 6.2?

Bocephus

Talked with Banks and they don't have one..... Has anybody in here done this before?

Really trying to figure out how to squeeze everything out of this gutless 6.2 without doing a swap.

Barrman

I haven't looked this week, but there were a number of Banks 6.2 diesel kits for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago.

Banks has been sending out emails and alerts for about 5 years now saying they will stop making the 6.2 kit. Maybe they finally did.

Bocephus

I'm guessing you are referring to kits for the 6.2 trucks or blazers, those won't work for the Humvee. AT least according to Banks they won't.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The Chevy vehicle kits will not work on a HMMWV. At least not without removing the heater core and passenger footwell to mount the turbo...

The 6.5 HMMWV/Van turbo setup will not work on a 6.2 either, not without swapping in the 6.5 HMMWV/Van heads as well. But at that point, you might as well swap the entire engine.

I've got a spare set of 6.2 headers laying around. I *think* one could use the passenger side header and modify it into a log with simply a V band clamp on the end, or actually place a turbo manifold flange (T3) on it. I'm probably going to play around with that since I have a spare 6.5 turbo here. But I know the downpipe will be the problem with the setup.

richingalveston

I have the banks 6.2 turbo for sale, the manifold is on ebay. Those are the only two must have parts. The rest can be made or sourced pretty easily. The manifold and turbo are getting hard to find.

I am keeping my banks manifold for the 6.5

you can get turbo and manifold for around $1000. the kit is normally over $2k. you can make and source the remaining parts for less than 1000. I see that many of the pats in the kit are the exhaust tubing and clamps for which you can get an exhaust shop to do.

Barrman

Sorry, I saw 6.2 and thought "CUCV" and didn't even notice what forum we were in. Yeah, no Banks kit for the HMMWV.

There is a guy on the diesel place web site that put a 6.5 in a 1978 Corvette and added a turbo. He put the turbo in front of the engine drive belts. He made his own headers/collectors to make it work. Anything is possible with the correct amount of time, money and tools.

jdmcm

I have a complete Banks Sidewinder 6.2 kit, used on my HMMWV last year, worked well, have just removed it as I finally found the last pieces I needed for my Whipple supercharger, PM me if you want are interested

ryanruck

Talked with Banks and they don't have one..... Has anybody in here done this before?

Really trying to figure out how to squeeze everything out of this gutless 6.2 without doing a swap.
If you're wanting to squeeze more power out of the 6.2, have you considered turning up the injection pump?

I'm not going to post a link to the directions since when I post a link it goes into moderation queue, but do a Bing/Google search for "Turn Up the Fuel on a 6.2" and you should get a hit for Flash Off-Road.

Just install a pyrometer to keep an eye on EGTs on hills and under load. I found a pyrometer on eBay (search for "pyrometer" and "2-1/16", it's the one that's $52) that matches the look of the rest of the dash gauges and it fits in an Auto Meter 2204 pod fine. You'll just need a 3/8" NPT boss welded into your crossover pipe for the thermocouple. The pyrometer kit doesn't include one but Fastenal had a 3/8" NPT steel fitting that works perfect for it (I think it was SKU 0467274 but I don't recall, the guy grabbed it out of a bin when we were looking). I did trim about 1/4" off of the fitting after it was welded in to put the thermocouple more in the exhaust flow.

I did the 1/6th turn of the screw and it really woke up my truck! No black smoke either. With the new tune, I'm actually starting to see what a limiting factor the 3 speed is. Hills are a lot easier and merging onto the freeway is less hazardous! Should get you close to what you're looking for without blowing a couple $K on power that would be, in my opinion, wasted being pushed through the 3 speed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bocephus

I have actually turned up the pumps on mine. It did make a difference, but I'm wanting more, haha.

I have a pretty decent ravine in the property I wheel around on, and before turning up the pump, the Humvee would just stall on the hill and do nothing. Didn't have the power to turn the wheels. This was in HL of course. After turning up the pump, it will climb the hill in high with no problem. So turning up the pump did make a big difference.

ryanruck

Approx. how much was mileage effected?
To be completely honest, I was never overly concerned about my fuel economy so I've never measured it.

I don't think it has affected it a whole lot though as I still seem to fuel up at roughly the same intervals I was. You're probably more likely to see a bigger drop from getting on the go pedal more than actually turning up the pump!

NormB

To be completely honest, I was never overly concerned about my fuel economy so I've never measured it.
I don't think it has affected it a whole lot though as I still seem to fuel up at roughly the same intervals I was. You're probably more likely to see a bigger drop from getting on the go pedal more than actually turning up the pump!
That's funny. When I was still on active duty, we'd just fill 'er up and go. I've always been a fanatic about calculating my personal auto (and motorcycle) gas mileage going back to when I first started driving around 1974.

I asked the guy I bought my truck from (Decodeme2 - RIP) about fuel mileage and he said "I've never even thought about it, we just fill it up and drive."

If I had to hazard a guess I'd think maybe 10 mpg, but I don't really care. Now my Tacoma, that's another issue...

Awol

Fuel mileage is for squares ;-)

As for installing a turbo on a non turbo truck, just grab a turbo and a welder. Fab that thang up!

Skrilex

Banned
I was set to do this to my 6.5 and I see no reason why it's any different than a 6.2 for the banks kit. I decided to go another route and swap engines. So, I'm selling the turbo kit if interested. It would require some custom fitting and maybe clipping the corner of the footwell and patching over. It would only be like 1/2" interference.

1995H1

I was set to do this to my 6.5 and I see no reason why it's any different than a 6.2 for the banks kit. I decided to go another route and swap engines. So, I'm selling the turbo kit if interested. It would require some custom fitting and maybe clipping the corner of the footwell and patching over. It would only be like 1/2" interference.
I’m interested if it’s still for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks