• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo oil tube

Gun Goober

Gentlemen,

Long time reader, first time question. I've put a new turbo on my Deuce, everything went well until I tried to hook up the oil inlet tube. I tried two from other deuces, then tried to make my own with no success.

My question, where can I get a tube that will fit? ?

Thanks,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a simple question, but We need way more info.

If you have a stock system, your stock tube should fit.

Why does it not fit (add info here)

Gun Goober

The turbo I took off was a growler, I'm thinking of having it rebuilt, no power what so ever from that turbo. The vehicle is a 72, M109A2, 15 K miles, LDT-465-1C.

I put on a whistler from a 68, M35A2. much more power, huge oil leak from the tubes.

What else do you need? I don't want to take up too much of you time.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've swapped/removed/replaced/converted quite a few turbos, never had a tube not fit.

In your first post, you did not say it leaked.

I was "guessing" you meant it did not fit (as in, it was the wrong shape or length).

Where is your leak, did you use new gaskets, does the tube end line up, is the flat surface mounting flange parallel?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Cvrtnick, best start a new thread, that isn't really related to this thread.

Gun Goober, you should be able to make gaskets for the drain tube out of sheet gasket material. The equipment on the trucks you listed should be 100% inter-changable. Can you post a pic or two?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GR, is that "disco Elmo" (your avatar?)

gimpyrobb

No, thats his illegitimate father, Animal. There is some story about Animal being in a band and traveling around nailing groupies. One story had him donkey kicking a window out while doing one of them.

Gun Goober

The oil inlet has compression fittings on both ends as well as on both the stock tubes I tried. On the tubing I tried to fabricate I used the same type of fittings but could not bend the tube to the correct angles. On the first "stock" tube, the length was good, but the fittings did not seal. The second tube was about 1 1/2 inches too short going into the block connection.

The leak is from the inlet, around the compression fitting.

I have since put the correct compression fittings on copper tubing with about 2 inches of tubing coming out of the fittings. I connected the tubing with a length of fuel line between the block and the top of the turbo. Its not leaking now but I don't like the looks of this "southern engineering" nor do I like something not being correct to the truck.

Again, any help is very appreciated!

gimpyrobb

I wonder if I took one that is sitting in my parts bin to a hydraulic shop, if they could duplicate it. Want me to look into this?

Gun Goober

I guess I could find an hydraulic shop in the Tulsa area. Its another step I can try.

I just thought there would be a hundred of them laying around in a warehouse somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks