• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo pipes and muffler on a non-turbo

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the top end of my exhaust needs replaced and i have two options. Replace it with a generic pipe and flapper, Cerakote them to look nice etc... or get a whole turbo exhaust and put that on.

Will it really change anything?

Will the reduction in back pressure be an issue for this engine?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It won't fit.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just buy the correct new exhaust pipe set?

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wont fit where? I can have the guys at work make me something to adapt at whatever part of the system I need to go from current pipes to new.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Running a NA engine without the muffler will be too loud. Since the stack is smaller diameter, just get your local muffler shop to make you a new stack exhaust using your rusted one as a pattern.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is NO muffler on a turbo exhaust. The turbo acts as a muffler.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, so how about I go bigger turbo pipes from muffler up the stack?

I assume by that point the back pressure won't be relevant or enough to matter?

She is mostly ok from manifold to muffler, has new flex pipe etc.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's funny is I have only ever maintained and worked on NA deuces. We even have one with a whistler but I have never even been under it or looked at it's exhaust setup.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Johnathan, we have a member here near me that has about 100 stock "turbo exhaust kits". If your truck doesn't have a turbo on it,

We can fix that!

I have the turbo parts, Ted has the exhaust parts. Let me know if I need to get some numbers together for ya.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Johnathan, we have a member here near me that has about 100 stock "turbo exhaust kits". If your truck doesn't have a turbo on it,

We can fix that!

I have the turbo parts, Ted has the exhaust parts. Let me know if I need to get some numbers together for ya.
This may be lore, but several have told me that having a 1968 with under 6000 miles and 300 hours, which runs like a swiss watch...... Adding a turbo is a good way to ruin it. Really it's been a thought many times but then will it really make it that different for the giant brick that my own truck is?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hard to say without driving it.

If you do add a turbo system, you need to install a pyrometer so you can watch the exhaust gas temps. As long as you don't go over 1200*(much) you will be fine.

There is only one non-turbo truck I thought should be left alone. The rest I have driven, I thought a turbo should be added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks