• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Question

cobra5

The other day I had a friend stop by and was asking me all sorts of questions about the truck but the one in particular he asked was about the turbo. He wanted to know if you could hear the turbo spool up when the truck starts. So I started the truck and he didn't hear anything. So he says to take it up to 1700 RPM and still no sound of the turbo spooling. So because of this he's telling me my turbo might be bad. His opinion is based on a few commercial trucks he's been around. He has no experience with military vehicles so is he right or is there a difference between military and commercial diesels? He also says I shouldn't of had a problem maintaining 55 mph pulling a grade unloaded. :cookoo:

Streetgliderx

My turbo whistled more when the exhaust was shot but now it's fairly quiet until it's pullin. And I'm learning you can't base anything on a deuce on prior commercial truck experience,.... Unless of course you count that it runs on diesel.

btw mine with 1100s wouldn't keep 55 on any grade! These 395s you better know how to downshift on a hill.

dslucas

Mine won't keep 55 on a serious grade either with the large tires. I suppose I could turn the fuel up but why bother? In that truck I am never really in a hurry and I just downshift. The turbo whistles when I rev up the motor, or as it is coming back down to idle. I am not a semi driver, but my dad was, and owned an '87 Freightliner conventional, with a cat engine. My deuce sounds NOTHING like it did.

dezert ratt

I can't maintain 55 on any grade with stock 9.00 ndt tires... We will see if it's any better after a fuel filter change and service.
As far as the turbo, I have a d turbo on my deuce and it's quiet till I get on the smoke pedal.
I have heard c turbo deuces and the turbo is always audible while it's running.

EWhytsell

The deuce isn't going to hold 5th gear on much of a grade at all. Though I'd still think you'd hear a turbo even if its a D type. My C turbo whistle loud idling and only gets louder.

dezert ratt

The d turbo on mine will make some noise when I'm feathering the gas/clutch while backing up or parking. You can really hear it when the pass window is down. At idle you just hear the throaty sound of the exhaust.

63C20

Why would you be going 55 MPH in 60 year old truck ? That being said I have a "D" turbo and the only time I hear it is between gears or under a heavy load.

welldigger

If you have a "c" turbo it will make a distinct whistle at all rpm ranges. If you have a "d" turbo you might not hear it at all over the exhaust note. Add a muffler and a "d" turbo will have a slight whistle but only after about 1900 to 2000 rpm. Even then it's just loud enough to know there is a turbo there. Even in the commercial truck world not every turbo has a "spool up noise".

Rmtaunton

Cant hear mine either. So I know its a D but it held 55 through NC and VA on interstate 77 ( lots of hills) with 395's. Briefly I was hoping I might have had a LDS, but tag on HH is an LDT.

cobra5

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the truck. I drove it over 237 miles on the recovery and it ran strong. The only issue I had was an oil leak that developed at the end of the trip causing the clutch to slip. I limped it home and its been parked ever since. When I get done with my m37 restoration I'll look into the oil leak but for now I'll start the truck every few months and exercise it around the property.

wb1895

I have a C turbo on mine, and unless the motor is warm, or it is running above 1100 RPMs you cant hear it. Once the truck is warm you can hear the turbo over evry other noise that the truck is making.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks