• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo question

GI Joe 329

hello
Im Joe, i won the sale on my first GL bid , the problem is i didnt preview first, well come to find out its a M35A2 non turbo, should i get a turbo kit for it or should i go with a newer turbo engine? if so whitch multifuel engine do i want whitch turbo, i love the sound of the whisler but i dont know what turbo it is or if it makes the best power.
and i need a rad

thanks guys
Joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. I'd enjoy it just the way it is for a while, maybe meet up with some other deuce owning members and have a ride with them. You might like the N/A motor. Adding a turbo is no problem either if you want to.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your best bet is to find a good take off turbo and then get a complete exhaust kit. I know Citizensoldier has the exhaust kit new in the box for $200 in our classifieds section. All these parts will simply bolt on to your current motor. Once you have them installed it(the book) says you should advance your IP timing, but I know guys that didn't do that when they added their turbo kit.

GI Joe 329

i went down and talked to mark at boyce equipment and he said if i just turbo that engine i would need to let it idle for 15 min after driveing to prevent turbo problems. and he said the engine is different too

gimpyrobb

all turbo multifuels are supposed to be idled to let the turbo cool down. The differences in the motors is so small I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, they have been added by many guys here. You can buy a whole different motor if you like, but that is a waste IMHO. If you DO swap out the motor, get an LDS, you can thank me later! :)

GI Joe 329

well thats the nice thing about helping each other out , i have been doing some hauling for trade on the motor i just need to pick one out but i dont know yet how to tell whats what

gimpyrobb

The data tag is on the passenger side of the motor, just behind the alt. It wil say either LD465, LDT465, LDS465, or LDS427. The LDS465 is the hot motor.

gimpyrobb

Just to answer more of your OP, radiators are hard to find cheap. Good luck there. I like the sound of the C turbo for about a half an hour, after that I'd like to take my plasma torch to them. If you plan on driving long distances, get the D turbo. If its just for parades and short trips, the C should be fine. This of course is only my opinion, and we all know what those are worth.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the sound of the "C" all the time. Once you are going down the road, you don't (I don't) notice it. Another Seabee! Excellent. "Can Do!"

bgekky3

I like the C turbo for long trips. Once I get up to speed, the shrill of the C is above my range of hearing. My muffled insulated D truck hurts my ears at cruise speed. C with hearing protection (stock) D without (muffled, insulated cab, air seats)

gimpyrobb

Yes, the C turbo is the whistler. You can tell the C by the snail shell shape on the exhaust side of the turbo. There should be pics here somewhere.

bgekky3

D Turbo. I don't have a pic of C at hand but it is skinnier and has a raised edge on it. Like Gimpy said. It looks like a snail shell. The D looks like an up side down snail.

Attachments

bgekky3

I could have done a search and posted a link, but think of all the time it would take to open the new link. The extra time it took me to find a pic and post it will be paid back with every person who reads this thread. I will have to save some pics to the desktop and get you next time.

On a side note. That pic was at Ed's house, but where is the beer bottle? It must have been first thing in the morning while we were working before getting to the drinking beer and looking at the truck part.