• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo questions Need help with newer 6.5NA motor

Thesaint025

Ok guys I'm new to SS and I am looking for some help, I have recently purchased a few hmmwv's all have the 6.2 motors I have not taken possession of them yet still waiting! I had the opertunity to pick up a few low mile 2010 6.5 take out's but would realy like to have the Turbo Diesel is this a simple task? Can I simply add a turbo from a 6.5 take off or is there more to it? I can get my hands on the 6.5 TD complete take out, but it is a bit more money and the turbos have all been cut so I would be buying a EBay replacement turbo unit anyways! I can get the exhaust and doghouse if simply adding a turbo to my 6.5 will work, thanks guys for all your imput in advance!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The only 6.5 with a turbo that will fit is the center mount turbo. The heads are different than any other 6.5(aside from van motors), so you'd be better off buying a complete driveline.

Action

some things that will need done are a body lift, new doghouse, and modifying the tunnel around where the new doghouse will fit.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guys I'm new to SS and I am looking for some help, I have recently purchased a few hmmwv's all have the 6.2 motors I have not taken possession of them yet still waiting! I had the opertunity to pick up a few low mile 2010 6.5 take out's but would realy like to have the Turbo Diesel is this a simple task? Can I simply add a turbo from a 6.5 take off or is there more to it? I can get my hands on the 6.5 TD complete take out, but it is a bit more money and the turbos have all been cut so I would be buying a EBay replacement turbo unit anyways! I can get the exhaust and doghouse if simply adding a turbo to my 6.5 will work, thanks guys for all your imput in advance!

the short answer is no...an NA block is not drilled for the oil galley for the rear mounted turbo. The casting is there, just not the hole. Let me add, a GM NA motor doesn't even have the casting, the GEP motors do.
i do and have done numerous NA and Turbo conversions here in the shop.
the new GEP NA's are awesome, the turbos even better.
The biggest parts expense beside the drive train is the 4 speed shifter, body harness and drive shafts.
i have the conversion down to approx 5-6k in labor....the remainder of the cost is on the customer to purchase the parts list I have compiled, that parts list price is an addt'l 10-12k. This is going to vary based on what the customer pays to aquire the parts, a lot of it has to be purchased from distributors.

NOTE: Here at RWH we only do factory OEM parts and conversions, so this conversion can be done cheaper if you bubbaize it.

Thesaint025

Ok, so I appreciate all the feedback, and here is where I stand, I have two motors sitting side by side on pallets #1 is a 2010 6.5NA with 1009 documented miles,
#2 is a 2011 6.5TD with 2950 documented miles, both have complete motor, accessories pulleys 4l80 trans with transfer case, all linkage, all wires cut at hmmwv, start control box and trans controls box, #2 has AC compressor exhaust manifold, and pipes, and doghouse. To accommodate the turbo What one do you pick? I plan on doing the conversion my self, and I'm not afraid of tracking down the other parts, I have the shifter on its way, just trying to get some input On the path to take, and which path will provide a better out come. Forgive me if I seem ignorant but I have spent countless hr's researching and only seem to be getting more confused, I'm just looking for some solid definitive answers! It is obvious to me that I will need a body harness, I'm not sure if that is it for electronics what other hard parts will I need? Will the hood work? Do I need to change the radiator? Drive shafts ect, Any info will be helpful! If anyone has the time to give me a comparison on parts for each it would be appreciated I know a lot of you make a living doing this and I am great full for your experience and input, I'm doing these builds with my son and nephews and we are all excited to get moving, and turning wrenches together and trying to bring back that good old American tradition of greasy elbows and busted knuckles! Thanks Again guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Unless retiredwarhorses indicates a massive amount of parts swapping to make it work, I'd go turbo motor.

Action

What did the 2010 6.5na motor come out of? If it was a 2010 Humvee, it would be a turbo diesel.
both drivetrains prolly have a transfer case with a hole at the back end. Those will require a different driveshaft than you have now, which is prolly a u-joint.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

thats an NA, not sure if your other motor is a Turbo or not...but if you have a turbo motor, go with that.
the same amount of work has to be done. I can tell you that both The NA and turbo with the new trans is freakin sweet and drives beautiful. You can't really go wrong with either of them.

Your welcome to call the shop to discuss the conversion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks