• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo questions

Dixon77

I learned a new fun fact today:
A turbo will stay on the manifold with just one mounting bolt.

My M109 has been my work/daily for the past week or so and while I knew the turbo manifold mount gasket was bad, I hadn't thought to look deeper till I went to put the gasket on this weekend.
I reached in to see what I was dealing with and the outside 2 bolts are broken off, the front rear is missing or sheared flush, and the back rear is keeping the ship afloat.
What is the mounting hardware for the turbo? Is it a nut/bolt in the outside and a set of studs on the inside? If they are studs, what size?
Fun fun fun

Attachments

kenn

I learned a new fun fact today:
A turbo will stay on the manifold with just one mounting bolt.

My M109 has been my work/daily for the past week or so and while I knew the turbo manifold mount gasket was bad, I hadn't thought to look deeper till I went to put the gasket on this weekend.
I reached in to see what I was dealing with and the outside 2 bolts are broken off, the front rear is missing or sheared flush, and the back rear is keeping the ship afloat.
What is the mounting hardware for the turbo? Is it a nut/bolt in the outside and a set of studs on the inside? If they are studs, what size?
Fun fun fun
Bolts on the outside and studs on the inside. I just went through this.

Dixon77

Bolts on the outside and studs on the inside. I just went through this.

Thanks, that helps!
Did you use any RTV on the gasket or throw it in dry?

ToddJK

Thanks, that helps!
Did you use any RTV on the gasket or throw it in dry?
Dry. There's a lot of heat right there, I'm not sure if there's any RTV that would even hold up, since the intake and exhaust is flowing through the turbo.

Reactions: HDN

kenn

Well... I haven't done mine yet as I have only one broken fastener and the only leak I can tell is if I've been idling and it loads up unburned fuel in the exhaust. I've been working on safety and reliability issues first and foremost so this one has been put on the back burner with so many other projects, lol. I ended up ordered these STUDS as they were the only grade 8 that I could find that were close enough to the original that I don't thin it will be an issue. If you find the original ones in stock, please post up where! I haven't checked the bolt size yet and I assume it will be non-standard as well. If I had to guess, it will be a 3/8-16 x 1.75" with threads about 2/3 the shaft. If I have some time today, I'll search the TMs and find the part numbers and try to figure it out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've swapped a few turbos and I've never used rtv, You will need something rated to 1500* if you do!