• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turbo vs non-turbo

serp

hello again, i have a non turbo m35a2. i live in a very hilly area, going up hills seems almost impossible. is this normal for a non-turbo. not sure how to describe grade of hill . what should i excpect when going up a long hill . i am used to driving my hemi dodge pickup, which can go up any hill with little effort. i am not an experienced heavy truck driver. the deuce is heavy. i went up hill in 3rd gear seemed to take forever, distance was about a mile, on a decent grade. (going down hill grade is marked by low gear truck sign ). if any of this makes any sense. ??

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Sounds like the truck is running normally. Remember, these trucks were designed for primary use on non-paved roads, primarily at speeds of 30 MPH or less.

HTH,
David Doyle

vtdeucedriver

Thats a Non- turbo for ya. Hates the hill but I will say this. On the flats, they go like hell as a deuce can do. You'll pass any turbo deuce if its flat. They do like to run...................mine do. Well down to one!

alphadeltaromeo

Re: RE: turbo vs non-turbo

vtdeucedriver said:
Thats a Non- turbo for ya. Hates the hill but I will say this. On the flats, they go like hot place as a deuce can do. You'll pass any turbo deuce if its flat. They do like to run...................mine do. Well down to one!
Could you explain that to me, as I would think the opposite?

Many thanks - Andy

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: turbo vs non-turbo

take the time to convert it to a turbo and you wont be sorry. esp with a good pyro gauge and fuel turned up.

vtdeucedriver

I have both trucks and most of my friends have turbos. I am always passing them on the highway when its flat. From what I am told, its due to the timing settings between the turbo engine and the non turbo engine. on the hills, the turbo is forcing the air in, were the normally aspirated is doing all it can do. yeah its slow on the hills, if you pick your gears right and watch the rpm it will be ok.

Dieselsmoke

This dinky little turbo is more of a restriction than anything. Go to a larger turbo, but then start pushing headgaskets out.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I loved my NA deuce. My LD465 was a little slow in the hills, but I just rolled down the window and enjoyed the exhaust barking off the hillside :D I also like soot, and maybe inhaling unburnt hydrocarbons all these years has made me a little giddy. Seriously though the biggest difference in a stock LD465 and a stock LD-465 1C or 1D I've seen comes down to the smoke-show and the whistle.

jatonka

The turbo/ non turbo question is a good one. I perfer a non turbo deuce because they seem to start quicker in cold weather. I also like simple things and a blown turbo doesn't make things simple in the engine when pieces go flying through air intakes and oil galleys. This comes from personal experience. 1 turbo failure cost me $6144 for a new motor for my excavator. I also can't hear too good so the whistler means squat. JT

jasonjc

The ONLY reason the military put the turbo was to make the bunny huggers happy. Thats why its called a clean air kit. Its to get rid of the smoke. Your Hemi dodge pick up is half the wight and twice (or more ) the horse power.
David has a good point these truck were made for drit road or no roads. They replaced the CCKW truck of WW II that replace the liberty truck and HORSES of WW I.
These are only 3 steps above a horse. How fast does a horse and wagon go up a hill???

westfolk

Only one of mine is a NA and I like it the way it is. For the most part it does the same as the rest. And I do like to see the smoke when it's pulling 20 ton down the road at 50MPH. Just like you smoke out bees. I try to smoke out the bunny huggers........