• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbocharger break down

twisted60

I have an 1152 6.5TD, looking for parts break down of turbocharger, pictures of disassembled unit, troubleshooting info etc.
I don’t think mine is working, I test drove it with doghouse and heat shield removed, before test drive I confirmed the waste gate moved freely. Waste gate never moved during test drive, rpm from idle to 2500 and no movement. Didn’t see any turbocharger troubleshooting info in ’s and only part was entire unit.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a standard GM turbo more or less (GM-7) not much to it actually.
It uses a spring loaded waste gate, simple as can be.
You can look up info on Gm,6,7,8 ect, all about the same construction.
I agree you should put a gauge on it first.

diesel_dave

Does it make any turbo whistle? I was also afraid mine wasn't working when I first got the truck because I never saw the waste gate moving but it definitely has some turbo whistle if you floor it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it make any turbo whistle? I was also afraid mine wasn't working when I first got the truck because I never saw the waste gate moving but it definitely has some turbo whistle if you floor it.
I can only hear mine when it is cold and idling, of course I am old and deaf. :(

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unlike my DuraVee which sounds like an M35 on steroids, I get comments all the time from folks that tell me " I heard you in town today"!!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys. Turbos whine before they whistle.

The whine is the cartridge spooling up. You shouldn’t hear whine at idle.

The whistle requires higher RPM and represents the wastegate blowing off excess pressure. You shouldn’t hear whistle at idle.

Excess pressure is defined as the pressure setting on the wastegate. HMMWV units are set to 4 or 5 PSI IIRC. Mogman posted on how to defeat the military retune and reset. Optimizer should safely accept 9 psi, but remember to increase IP output so as not to lose out on max power (Mogman correctly pointed out that running lean is safe in Diesel engines and I corrected). Don’t modify without a manifold pressure sensor to prevent too much pressure blowing your 21-1 compression pistons and heads.

Besides proper IP output, water injection is also a great way to increase HP while decreasing EGT’s. Also consider getting an EGT sensor.

Sorry to go a bit off point about EGTs and IP and compression ratios and such.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks