• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbocharger Manual for Deuce Series

wpzimmer

Greetings, All

I have a copy of TM 9-2990-201-45 that I did not see posted in the TM archive.

It is titled: General Support and Depot Maintenance Manual for
Turbocharger, Engine Assembly
Schwitzer Model 4-456 (For LDS-465-1)
Schwitzer Model 4D-554 (For Mack ENDT 673)
Schwitzer Model 4D-454C (For Later Continental LDS-427-2)
Schwitzer Model 4-450 (For Early Continental LDS-427-2)
Schwitzer Model 4LE-354 (Waste Gate Version)
Schwitzer Model 4LE-456 (Waste Gate Version)

The manual is dated September 1964, so it is a little dated but appears to have some
still relevant information.

If anyone has an interest in this manual I will scan and post is in the archive.

wpzimmer

Alpha59

I have a copy of TM 9-2990-201-45 that I can burn a copy of. I will eventually post it in the archive but that requires more time than I have now.

The copy that I have is dated September 1964 but may contain useful information suitable to your purpose. It covers,among others, the Schwitzer Model 4-456 installed on the LDS465-1

PM me with an address that I can mail it to and I will try to get it to you the first thing next week.

wpzimmer

13B40

I have a copy of TM 9-2990-201-40&P titled "GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE MANUAL (INCLUDING REPAIR PARTS AND SPECIAL TOOLS LIST) FOR TURBOCHARGER, ENGINE ASSEMBLY:
SDCHWITZER MODEL 4-456, 4D-454C, 4D-554, 4LE-354, 4LE-456, 3LJ-319, 3LD-305" dated 1979.
I purchased it from Portrayal Press and it has been usefull in rebuilding my turbo.
Contact them for a copy.

Ken

Boatcarpenter

Does anyone have these manuals they can upload? Can anyone tell me where the best info is on R & R of the turbo if it's in the resource section?
Started blowing blue smoke the last 10 miles of the ride home from Lowell yesterday and by the time I backed in my driveway the whole neighborhood was a blue haze:oops:.
BC

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Deuces started with the lds427 before the ld and ldt motors. If your lucky you got an lds from a 5ton(different from an lds427).

Gamagoat1

Upload

Can we still upload Tech Manuals??
I've tried for a few weeks to upload a TM9-2320-211-35 but no success. Like you, I could sure use a copy pf TM9-2990-201-45...........

Last edited:

davey8943

SS,

Has anyone found an electronic copy of the Deuce Turbocharger manual?

I have found a couple different manual numbers, but haven't found anything via google search (and here I thought google knew more than God!). I tried LOGSA, but it appears you have to have some credentials to search even... :cookoo:

Thanks for helping out!

Dave

Flyingvan911

I have trouble with that on multiple deuce topics. The numbers are everywhere but the manuals available to download are hard to find. Have you tried liberated manuals.com?

runk

Here is the LOGSA link I use -
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/index.cfm

no special credentials needed. But the military sites use a id certificate series that isn't registered with most web browsers, so you have to tell your browser that the certificate is ok and to accept it. (Note that this is the same kind of warning your browser will give you on a horrible phishing scam site.....)

davey8943

FlyingVan, Runk,

Thanks to both of you, but no dice at either site.

I will be bookmarking them for future TM searches though.

Any other ideas from other people? Maybe I can buy the turbo manuals in paper form?

Thanks,
Dave

davey8943

You can find the TMs here
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
OR
Free Military Army Manuals!
OR
Former Military Vehicle Owners - Index
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,
Thanks for the pointers 73m819, unfortunately all those are dead ends!

I ended up coming upon a paper copy on Ebay. 15 bucks later I have it in my hot little hands. Thanks to an auto-feeding scanner I also have it in PDF form.

[thumbzup]

I'm hoping that Jatonka can post it on his site along with the rest of the Deuce TM's. Until then, if anyone needs it in pdf form, PM me with your email and I can send it over.

Thanks,
Dave

wsucougarx

Hey Davey, I was wondering if you can do me a huge favor;-) I need to know how much torque I need to put on the shaft nut (compressor side) on the 3LJ-319 (Whistler) turbo. In fact if you could PDF the 3LJ-319 assembly instructions I would be much appreciated.

davey8943

Uhhh Mike,

We have a problem! The TM I have in PDF form (and just emailed you) is the 9-2990-201-45. I copied the cover page and posted below.

That TM appears not to cover the model number you show.... I had pulled the TM number shown above in this thread. Maybe that one is incorrect? Or do we have a model number mismatch?

I am officially hoping for a turbo expert to weigh in!

--- EDIT ---

Looks like the OP gave a listing of what Turbos were installed on what engines.... see post 1

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks