• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbocharging Project Complete

Deuceswild

:D After doing battle with mother nature for about 3 weeks my turbocharging project is almost complete now, the last step is to retard the injection pump timming.
Big thanks to Bjorn for his tech article on " how to do the conversion from N/A to Turbo, A HUGE help and greatly apprieciated.
I must say that the installation was well worth it, the engine does not smoke at all like it used to ( Black Smoke ) and there is a noticeable increase in power.
I would recommend this installation to anyone that has thought about doing it.
Also, I would like to mention that my old exhaust system was in excellent condition and it is FREE to anyone on this forum how may need it.
Heres some pics after the installation.
Jeff. :D :D

Attachments

Deuceswild

Wow. What a nice looking truck, very clean and tidy. Does she whistle?
It doesn't whistle at idle but when your driving it does have a distinct "whistle" to it upon acceleration and deceleration . Although its not the C turbo I really do like the way it sounds, Very deep and powerful.

Deuceswild

jwaller said:
how much boost does it run and what kinda temps are you seeing? very clean truck too!
Jwaller,
Since the fuel injection timming remains the same yet I have been very easy on the accelerator but I did test it out.
Just cruising around 30 MPH steady speed there isnt much happening on the boost and the pyro reads 600 F .
45 MPH going up an incline ( about 8% and 1/8 mile long ) boost reached 6 PSI and the pyro read 950, Note: these reading were taken at the top of the hill.
Engine coolant temp remains at 180 degrees.
I noticed a BIG difference right away with the afore mentioned hill, when the engine was still N/A, I had to down shift at or near the top where as now the engine stays right in its powerband. :D

mangus580

Actually, Bjorn is the source of retarding them. I have recently wondered if I should have done mine though. Learned on another forum, that retarded timing will add to the EGT's... just a thought.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job, clean truck!

Yes, I changed the timing from 25 to 20 deg BTDC. Not a difficult task, but you will need to remove the radiator for elbow room. Change coolant while you are at it. This part of the MVM article was heavily edited, so if it's not clear on the procedure, let me know.

For you N/A to Turbo convertors, the smoke cam angle is different and may give you (us) a little more in fuel delivery during rapid (if there is such a thing for the deuce) acceleration. Nobody ever really explained this part of the governor action, so I'm not sure. I have never turned up the fuel, but seem to have plenty of power relatively speaking. The max boost I have noticed under conditions similar to what you describe, hill and with a gross weight of 20,000 plus, is 12 psi and an EGT of close to 1,200F. That's when I easy off. My turbo is the "D', non whistler.

The image below shows a drive up the mountain from NC to VA on I-77. It's about a 5% incline and I'm able to keep the speed and rpm shown on the superimposed dash. The boost and EGT were less than max and the cranetruck was running empty at 16,000 lb. Scored some rare passing here when the tractor trailers got bogged down. :)

Attachments

Deuceswild

Mangus580 brings up an excellent point as far as raising the exhaust gas tempurature when the retarding the fuel injection timming. Has anyone done this conversion WITHOUT retarding the timming :?:

BTW, Thanks to all of you guys out there for your input and complements :) Very Much Apprieciated. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks