• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turboing a 6.2 diesel with 6.5 turbo parts

orangejeepzj

I have been looking at this on a couple of different sites but have not been able to put everything together. Will it work?? And how much custom work do you have to do to get it to work??? I work at a body shop so finding the parts should be easy since we have connections with junkyards. And has anybody ever done thins to a M1009??? If you have do you have a parts list of what you used?? Thanks

mangus580

Will work just fine. the 6.2 and 6.5 are almost identical blocks. You will need to build an exhaust. You may have to relocate one battery, and possibly an alternator.

I have not done it yet, but have been planning to....

orangejeepzj

The exhaust on the truck has about had it anyways so i was going to replace it in the future, but does anybody have any pics of the setup and how hard was it to do, can you do most of the work with common tools, except for the exhaust work??

HeadWizard

It'll be important to put the largest diameter exhaust on that you can (most power). The camshafts are most likely different which will also affect power. Make sure you use pre '94 6.5 parts as the later ones are for electronic injected vehicles. Monitoring EGT's might be a good idea also.

I have a 6.5 TD in my pickup and have done many mods to it. Let me know if you need any help.

Another great resource on 6.2 / 6.5 diesels is Bill Heath at Heath Diesel. www.heathdiesel.com or (877) 894-6266

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got a quote from them about a month or so ago, 2600.00 shipped to my door.......
I said thanks for the quote.....

orangejeepzj

so what all parts do i need to make this happen??? I am not spending $2600, i am going to go to the jnukyard since i get a discount there through my work, and plus that way i dont have to take it apart my self but i will have to call and get a price on everything seperate i am sure

CCATLETT1984

you need to grab all the turbo stuff off of a 6.5 engine. the turbo, downpipe (you will have to modify it slightly), the passenger side exhaust manifold, the plate that covers the mechanical lift pump on the block for the oil return line, and the oil feed line.

Its a bolt on modification. you will have to put a civilian battery in the rear battery tray and cut the tray down. the alterntator will be fine with the 6.5 setup as it sits more to the center of the engine than the front.

I have been meaning to take some pics of my banks kit now that its had some miles on it, I'll try to get to that soon (now that the weather is warming up.)

orangejeepzj

That would be great i would love to see some pics of what it all looks like and what all you had to do to make it fit. Do you have any pics of the install???

codenameearl

orangejeepzj said:
That would be great i would love to see some pics of what it all looks like and what all you had to do to make it fit. Do you have any pics of the install???
ya any pics or info you have let us know...i'm planning on doing the same thing within the next few months and would like some help..thanks

Bozor1000

CCATLETT1984 said:
you need to grab all the turbo stuff off of a 6.5 engine. the turbo, downpipe (you will have to modify it slightly), the passenger side exhaust manifold, the plate that covers the mechanical lift pump on the block for the oil return line, and the oil feed line.

Its a bolt on modification. you will have to put a civilian battery in the rear battery tray and cut the tray down. the alterntator will be fine with the 6.5 setup as it sits more to the center of the engine than the front.

I have been meaning to take some pics of my banks kit now that its had some miles on it, I'll try to get to that soon (now that the weather is warming up.)
I probably want to Banks my truck when I get it. Was it an easy install?

CCATLETT1984

if you click on the photo album link in my sig, you will see all the install pics. It was complete bolt on, except the exhaust crossover pipe (beause my kit was on a 2wd truck). I had it installed in about 3days of working a few hours a day.

55chevydmax

Hello, i have a m1028 with 10k miles on it. I also have a 98 turbo 6.5 auto truck, i want to use that as a donor for the turbo and transmission. Is it worth it to put that 4l80 in? I also have a 4x4 700r4 out of a k10. What are my best options?

the 4l80 has the same ratio as the current TM 400 but with the OD.... and it will be Stronger than the 700R4.... So, yes it will be worth it... Another point to remember... you will need a shift controller for the 4L80

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks