• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo's

F350boy

I was told there is baffling in the turbo on my 1970 m35a2 I was wondering if any one has heard of this before. I was also wondering if anyone has ever put a intercooler on one as well.
Thank you all for your time,
Blain

srodocker

welcome to the site f350 boy. i have added a muffler from summit racing called the dynomax muffler. also check out the PNW convoy link in my sig you should come this year!

Josh

The turbo was put on specficly to clean up emisions, not to boost hp. From what I've read, that with the high compression of the motor, and a high boost = blown headgaskets.

mudguppy

The intake is cooled by the engine coolant. ...
i'm having trouble with this statement.

this is the closest work-up i can find in the same pressure ranges - it shows the temperature increase of the intake air charge to be 115°F (after several assumptions are made) for an intake charge of 8 psi.

now, 8 psi is probably the max boost a MF is going to make unless turned up.

so with an ambient air temp of 75°, then the intake air charge temp would be 190°.

seems to me that is pretty close to engine coolant temps, so i don't see how the intake charge is 'cooled' at all. if anything, it's likely slightly warming it...

mudguppy

Gimb, is correct the intake is cooled by coolant water ...
oh, and i almost forgot the most important aspect to answering whether this is 'Myth' or 'Fact':

if the coolant in the intake manifold is intended to act as a form of 'charge air cooling', then is this same manifold not found on the non-turbo'd MFs...?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Best answer I can give you is Bjorn(cranetruck) wrote an article about it for MVM. His research/article said it cooled the charged air. Feel free to do independent testing.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the turbo compresses air it makes heat. I have neveir measured this engine, but, on old school stuff like the Cummins C series, pre 1991 product, w/o CAC, 210 hp, the compressor outlet temps were around 250 degrees making only 12 pounds manifold pressure with around 75 degree ambient temps. Intake manifold temps stayed around 248 degrees. After the air to water aftercooler was installed, the post cooler intake temps were hovering around 185 ish depending on coolant temp. The test engines had air operated clutch type fans so the coolant temps would modulate from 195-200 down to 185. Adding the aftercooler made the engine work better under a load and the HP actually was better by about 10 on the dyno and stayed stable.

Point being, ANY cooling you can get that will bring a compressed air intake temp down closer to ambient will help the engine. Without the intake cooler, under a sustained load, the intake temps continue to rise and HP falls off. Unless you are gonna be using the truck for heavy haul, every day, stock will do just fine.

And no the intake on a n/a multi isn't there to cool a charged intake...there isn't any. It's primary function is the opposite. It is there to warm the intake air in cold ambient temps to prevent low power and white smoke. Cool intake air is good, cold is not. In a compression fired engine really cold intake air won't support the combustion process very well.

mudguppy

so i read 12° of IAC temp reduction at 11psi of boost.

sorry, but that's not much to brag about. i'd be more inclined to say that the same aluminum manifold with the coolant passages blocked off would likely result in similar reductions.

i hate to call it an intercooled intake when you can still boil water with the IAC...

but i still question the LD intakes - do they have this coolant jacket as well?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I didn't say it was the best set up for performance, I just said it cooled the air. It has been stated yes, the LD motors are coolant cooled/warmed too. How else can we say it?

Last edited:

mudguppy

... How else can we say it?
gee, i dunno. maybe since that's the first i've seen the answer to the question, your method is just fine.

so if the intake is coolant lined on the LD motors, the i challenge that the intake was never inteneded to act as an 'intercooler'. rather, i speculate the design intent is for normalization of the IAT for hypercycle considerations.