• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn Signal issue

my86m1009

First off, I have searched the forum and did not find anything close enough to my issue. I have an 86 m1009, I have an on and off issue with my turn signals. Daily, i will lose my signals and hazards and then they randomly come back. I have all other lights working and no dummy lights on the dash. Does anybody know what to check first or have had the same problem.

alburms311

Sounds like something is grounding out to me. I had big time issues with all my lights when I acquired my money pit:). After tracing everything out, I ended up replacing all of the lamp sockets in the front and rear, problem solved for me. I purchased them all from lmc.

Barrman

Without more information, it is hard to pin point exactly what is wrong. Do the obvious. Check all grounds, especially the one on the parking brake housing up under the dash. Check the big plug on the bottom of the steering column, that is the blinker wiring connector. Of course, checking the fuse in the panel and cleaning the contacts on that fuse slot is also a good idea. If you haven't replaced the fuses yet, now would be a great time just on general purposes.

Have you been playing with the black out light switch?

my86m1009

I flipped the blackout back and forth with no change, i was thinking of a ground issue or fuse, I guess i will check those. I know it has to be a main ground for the lights since both the turn signals and the hazards don't work at the same time.

scottladdy

The obvious, you'll have to diagnose the system one step at a time, but if both systems are failing intermittently at the same time I would focus on the parts of the systems that are in common to both. Sounds like you are already heading that direction.

Just a reminder that the ground tab in the turn signal bulb sockets is a weak point and often times fails. Not thinking a single tab would knock both systems out at once, but an easy item to check.