• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn Signal lever is broke

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, I have a 1984 CUCV and I broke the turn signal lever,. The lever just has the blinkers/turn signal on it and the wiper/washer function on it, no delay wiper, however it would be great if it did. Anyways, I've read some threads and watched some YouTube videos and don't see anything exactly like mine.

Before the lever broke when I turned the left turn signal on it stayed like it was supposed to. But the to get the right turn signal to actually blink I had to hold the lever. I was holding it and I must have been holding it to hard when I broke it. Oh and then the left turn signal blinked just fine but the right side didn't blink. I'm assuming it's a turn signal relay that's causing that because the right side lights did come on. But even the inside on the dash the light never came on on the right hand side.

I do have 2 CUCV's that don't run and I was hoping to get parts off them as needed. I have multiple things going on. I've seen on some videos and I see how to just pull the turn signal lever out, and pull the wire back through the steering column.
On at least one of my broke CUCV's the right side lever stayed on when you turn it on but the left you had to hold it to make it work. I'm assuming that's a different problem?
So to fix just the broke turn signal all I should have to do is get a lever off one of my other trucks and replace the broken lever correct?

I've attached a photo of my fuse panel. I assume the round part is the turn signal relay?

truck fuse box.jpg

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is. In TM 9-2320-289, page 4-31, (Or pdf page # 275) There is a good picture of the fuse panel.
Thanks. It appears the turn signal lever is not the broken part but the part it attaches to? My windshield wipers and washer still work, just not the turn signals. Any thoughts?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anything happen? blown bulbs and bad grounds can quickly cause signal issues on these old trucks.
Now, neither turn signals work, and the left one did right before I accidentally broke it. I've already ordered the part inside the steering column, thinking it might have been bad. But the black plastic part the turn signal lever connects to appears broken. I haven't found what that part is yet.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might need one of these? Won't know until you pull the wheel off and the upper spring? You have the compressor tool to take that off? Once you get in there you'll be able to tell what's broke off. I've got a bunch of these signal switches.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might need one of these? Won't know until you pull the wheel off and the upper spring? You have the compressor tool to take that off? Once you get in there you'll be able to tell what's broke off. I've got a bunch of these signal switches.

Hi not sure what you're talking a compressor tool? Can you send me a link.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, you'll need that plus a good pick to release the c clip. If you want or need a new ignition switch, now's a good time to swap that out, too.

My ignition switch seems to be working so not planning on touching it.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm tearing into my old truck tomorrow to see if I can figure this out. I'm thinking the Standard Ignition 5 Terminal Windshield Wiper Switch is what broke?> Hoping to see if I can get it off my old truck. Not sure what tools I'll need until I try lol

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My ignition switch seems to be working so not planning on touching it.
I hear that!! I like to pop a new one in when I have that apart...dang keys can be pretty worn out. Curious do you have a round ended key or a square one? Does one key open the doors and start it?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Again. I've watched some videos on how to replace my wiper blade switch inside the steering column. I think it's beyond my capability. Is there anyone within a hundred miles of Indianapolis IN that I could hire to do this for me?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Again. I've watched some videos on how to replace my wiper blade switch inside the steering column. I think it's beyond my capability. Is there anyone within a hundred miles of Indianapolis IN that I could hire to do this for me?
I'm in central Pa but would if I was in a heartbeat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks