• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signal problems help!

chris837rj

So about 600 miles into the 2600 mile trip from Oregon to Texas the turn signals on the deuce decided to go on strike. Permanently. On the road I took apart the signal switch and it checked out for making the proper contacts. I heard that the signal system is part electronically controlled. Is that true? So on to the real problem. When the lighting control panel is in any position such as the top knob all the way right currently meaning (with the problem) headlights and rear running lights and no front running lights I get no turn or emergency signaling. When one click to the right from center I get no headlights but get front and rear running lights again no turn or emergency. The instrument panel lighting works fine as does the blackout lights. Also in any lighting switch position I no longer get any brake lights (rear running lights getting bright when pedal depressed.) Could my problem be an electronic controller that I don't know about? Before I left for the trip all of the lights checked out fine with the exception that sometimes when I hit the turn signal it took many seconds to start blinking 10-20. Other times it worked immediately with no problems.

Alas I have many pictures from the trip along with the the leaking tyre on the trailer and the hour and a half to break it down... However I don't know how to post pictures so How do I do that? I get back here wednesday and post them if I can find out how. Thanks!

54reo

There are three wires in the plug for the flasher marked "A", "B", and "C". "C" is the ground and should be checked first. If you still have no lights following a verification of a good ground, it may be the flasher. To verify, simply make a small jumper wire to slip in from "A" to"B" (installed on the plug) with the plug unplugged, and you should have brake lights and a "steady" burning directional light. If nothing is working with the jumper in, then the issue is elsewhere.

Last edited:

tdoskey

I just had the same problem. It is the " turn signal flasher". Swaped it for one in my other deuce and the problem was fixed. Check out the service manual available on this site. You will find the "flasher" on the inside of the drivers fender or on the firewall high up on the drivers side. It is a little larger than a pack of cigarettes with "cooling fins" on it. Ordered a new one from Saturn Surplus. Hope this helps.

FormerNewMVGuy

Yeah, I learned real quick to keep an extra flasher unit in each of my deuce's.
I have one flasher unit that works fine if the temp is above 25 degrees F, but below that it stops working .

ARYankee

I installed the flasher unit mod on my deuce when I toasted my turn signal unit. So far no problems. While I was at it I made sure all my grounds were good and clean.

chris837rj

Sweet! That must be it. While on the road I made a good look over the truck trying to find the problem and I saw the flasher unit and thought it suspect due to the blinker wires going to it have the same numbers. Thank god for the military dumbing down repairs on these things. I have never in my life had anything so easy to work on! Thanks!

BEASTMASTER

i had a good one this weekend. flashers only worked on first position and not on service . you'd think ,the switch ,right. tried two seperate switches and no flashers on serv. changed flasher and bingo. they work like they should. that is hard to explain.i still don't get it.

dabtl

Those who change out their flashers without checking them should know that the flasher might be OK, just messing with the grounds may have solved the problem. Always check the flasher independent of the grounds.

BEASTMASTER

yeh, that brings up another question. they say the flasher should be grounded , but the new ones i got are plastic or something, so the only thing you can ground is the wire, right?????

neb4x4

I kindof have the same prolbem.... My turn signals work good untill the temp gets about 70-80 deg out... Sometimes they do starting out, but as the engine warms up t-signals inop....

One other ??? Is when I first got the rig (3-7-09) Brake lights worked fine untill about 1 week after I got it... If I am stoped with the engine running the brake lights work fine if the pedal is pushed real hard. During normal driving they won't work. And with engine off and good air pressure they won't work. BRAKES WORK FINE....... Any advice?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks