• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn up fuel, need help, on side of road

merlot566jka

Epic trip needs epic power. Which is it to turn up the fuel, upper one that is covered with a cap and safety wire or the lower one that has no safety wire.

Thanks fo rthe help

Egt is 1100 and boost is 11psi and I'm going 26mph up the grades. Help!

merlot566jka

Those pics didn't help, I need an arrow pointing to the correct one to turn. They say how much to turn, warning and the like. I need to know which one to turn.

rlwm211

In your picture there is a shaft coming out of the FDC with two thin nuts that are locked together. This is almost exactly in the center of the photo. To make it more clear, there are two 7/16" headed bolts on either side. I added an arrow and a circle to your picture to help you.

You are already running pretty warm in the egts at 1100. I would be very cautious in adding much to the fuel.

Be careful to not turn the rod and only the nuts. Pulling the rod out makes more pressure and fuel available and letting it back in decreases it.

Hope this helps

RL

Attachments

rlwm211

Mine has 1/2" as well Kenny...I am sorry if I am confusing the issue. Normally there is a cover that is held on with the 1/4--7/16 headed bolts and then the nuts on the rod that are 1/2". You need a tappet wrench to adjust these. A regular wrench is too think and I had to grind my tappet wrench to make it thin enough.

RL

Last edited:

merlot566jka

Very slight difference. Still 11psi and about 1150 Egt and will peak at 1200 if I try a grade at 4th or 5th gear. At level cruise it's around 1000 degrees and 6psi at 50mph. 55mph (2600rpm) stays at 1050 EGT and 9psi.

Only moved it about 3 flats. Will try more in the am.

We're towing a fully loaded m105a2 and a corvette in the bed of the deuce. Still think I should have way more power than what I have now. Unloaded, truck ran perfect, loaded the egt is barely different but I am going much much slower up the passes... I could do them at 50 unloaded, loaded I'm lucky to break 30mph!!! It's making for a very long drive!!

Any input would be great, thanks again folks

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Slow on hills is normal for a loaded truck, even commercial big rigs with bigger engines, 10-14 gears, intercoolers, 40psi boost, and areo. Most of those trucks you see flying up hills are lightly loaded or empty. The load inside a 53' van can be 4-1/2 times the weight of an empty trailer (or a bit over half for a single trailer/tractor at 80,000 GCWR). There are exceptions. A very small group of supertruckers have an honest 600-1000hp /2000+lb ft of torque available. Those rigs will pull.

Trucking, loaded, in hilly terrain, will make you appreciate the performance of even the wimpiest econo-car.

JimK (retired Teamster with over 2 million miles in NE)

PS- The highest EGT happens at lower rpms (lower boost means less cooling air). If you get high EGT downshift.

A loaded truck often looks the same as an empty. You can tell more by looking at tires.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks