• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turned up the injection pump this morning.....

Heavysteven

If you want speed get a powerstroke. My 6.0 hauls and blows smoke on demand. Please no 6.0 jokes mine is a 2007 and runs great.

Sounds like your having fun keep posting and upload a video. Would love to hear/see your deuce with the fuel up.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the isspro installation instructions, the sensor goes into the manifold if it has a pipe plug installed (deuce has 2), otherwise it needs to be within 6" of the manifold flange. That should put it pre-turbo.

Punisher666

Boost gauge tube was put in manifold going from turbo to the engine. Are their any pre-tapped holes big enough to fit the pyro sensor because i am having a hard time finding one. Ive detonated and swapped many engines but nothing as big as this. Really dont want to break stuff anymore so im open and willing to take any advice given. I appreciate all the info guys keep it coming.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I am going to put a huge turbo on mine, turn the fuel through the roof and then see what happens!!!! If it blows, the deuce will get a 6bt 5.9 cummins that will happily pull 3,000 rpm all day long. Maybe I'll get my 1028 overdrive and lift it before I have to back off the budget some!!!! Extra Airflow = clean air and no extra power? Clean Air Package, it's been called. I cannot for the life of me see why adding more air and fuel would not produce more power

oldshep

I can get my pyro up to 1050-1100 on hills that arent too long. 700-900 crusing along flat ground. Will 1050-1100 hurt it over time?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best way is to just drill and tap a hole right above the turbo. I drilled and tapped mine with the engine running to keep shavings blown out of the hole and not down inside the turbo. It worked great.

davidkroberts

:grd: would like to see how much a difference bring the fuel back to something manageable makes. If full blown is great what is something more reliable. It cant be that much less.

Josh

I really need to get off my ass and turn my fuel up some. On a 4 mile long 6% grade, I couldnt get my exhaust over 975deg towing an 8000lb trailer, and thats pre-turbo. I bet being underfueled is also why my truck doesn't like to start in morning either.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
There are pipe plugs in the end(s) of the exhaust manifold. I can't remember if they are 1/8 or 1/4NPT. Your readings here will be for only one cyl. If you put it above the turbo you need to place it on one side or the other. You reading here will be for only 3 cyl. 1200*F is considered safe. Brief excursions above should be OK, but avoided. Probe in the exhaust pipe should be 6-12 inched away from the turbo. Readings here tend to be 200-250*F cooler, so 950-1000 is considered safe. I have been running 13psi at 2600prm (12psi at 2500) safely for years w heavy towed loads. Smoke is light. Power is excellent. Accel is ecellent when empty. EGT is reasonable. The only way to get high EGT is to lug it, continuous full throttle at 1500-1800rpm. It gets hot there because airflow is low at low boost levels. A downshift cools it down. The old style head gaskets are known to fail. The newer style is better. 16 psi was too hot. It might be a good idea to retorque both heads and adjust the valves, afterwards.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have been running about 70% UMO in the tank and i notice the boost is about 1PSI more than what it would have been with straight diesel. at 2300rpm and full throttle under load, i was almost 8.5lbs of boost. thats the most i ever had it. id turn my fuel up but i dont have a pyro and because of that, i would like it to stay "dummy proof". i pull a long hill going to my house at least once a day and its to the floor in 4th for a long ways between 2000 and 1500 then around 1400 ill downshift. even at 1400 ill have about 6psi of boost. turned up fuel would be nice, but i think i would like to clean the injectors first to see if that helps my power. running WMO i can see more smoke when after it cools down idling. when i see the smoke comming from the stack, its not consistant, like an injector may not be spraying right and having some incomplete combustion. that would give me power issues also even pulling the hill. so do you guys agree cleaning the injectors would be a good place to start before turning up the fuel? I allready adjusted the valves and filters are clean. are cleaning injectors something a normal mechanically inclined guy could do or do you need special tools? i would also have them pop tested after. i heard balancing injectors is a good tune up for a diesel.

Towman2277

I turned my fuel WAY UP!!!!! (I bobbed the truck!)

In all seriousness, I haven't touched my pump yet. Once bobbed, it made such a difference i haven't felt a need to. I have a boost gauge ready to install, but need a pyro also first! My truck loaded down now with 7,000 lbs (pulling a trailer) will hit a very steep grade, and never come back down outta 5th at 62 mph! That's great in my opinion!

Last edited:

helmethair78

I have a pyro and have never touched my pump. No boost gauge. The highest egt that I've seen was 765. That was loaded and at wot.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many threads covering pryo's, boost, and safe temps. Search and you shall find. LOL....

Jimk covered it pretty well earlier in the thread.