• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turning an M936A2 wrecker into something even more useful

jesusgatos

Purchased an M936A2 and another hightop M923A2 a few weeks ago. Have been thinking about swapping some parts around to make one supertruck, and wanted to get some feedback before I jump into this. The idea is to build a super-versatile heavy-duty cargo-length hightop tractor with a knuckleboom. The wrecker chassis is appealing because it's got that heavy-duty reinforced frame and winches, along with the upgraded hydraulics (transfer-case PTO + transmission PTO). The hightop cabs are awesome, with the rollcages and air-ride seats and everything, so that gets swapped over onto the wrecker chassis. Then the wrecker bed is removed and replaced with some kind of a knuckleboom, and a 5th wheel plate from one of our M931A2's.

If the knuckleboom takes-up less than 2ft of bed-space, would still have enough room to fit a 12ft cargo bed/box with the same amount of overhang as the stock cargo bed. Really like the idea of being able to swap between different beds and boxes using the 5th wheel plate as the main mounting point, and would use the truck as a tractor occasionally too. The mounting surface for the articulating 5th wheel tractor plate is 12 5/8" above the framerails, and the underside of a cargo bed is 12" above the framerails. Only problem is that the 5th wheel plate is a little wider than the framerails, so would have to cut-out a section of the subframe on a cargo bed and rebuild it to fit around the 5th wheel plate. No big deal though, and when it's all said and done, think I can keep the cargo bed within 1-2" of the stock height. Would do the same thing with my M109 box. If the 5th wheel plate thing works out like it should, will probably end up putting 5th wheel plates on the rest of our 5-tons, and my deuce, so we can swap beds and boxes around between all of them.

wrecker_recovery_01.jpg robo_rolling_on_14_01.jpg

jesusgatos

According to the data plates, a hightop M923A2 weighs about 1000lbs more than a regular M923A2, and it's all in the cab. But after removing the wrecker bed, there's not much extra weight left in the chassis, right? I mean, except for the framerail reinforcing plates, and hydraulic components. Then we add the knuckleboom and 5th wheel plate. Didn't forget about the winches, but have been crawling around under these trucks, trying to figure out how difficult it might be to center-mount a winch in one of these trucks. Looks like I could mount a winch in front of the 5th wheel plate, right behind the spare tire carrier, then run the winch cable to the back of the truck, around a pulley, and back to the front of the truck, using a few more pulleys to assist with the routing. Eliminating one of the winches would shave some more weight, and removing the front-mounted winch would reduce the overall length and maintain approach angle of a non-winch truck.

goldneagle

I can see the idea of interchanging the different boxes and beds if you only owned 1 or 2 trucks. But Why would you need to go through all the trouble of doing all the mods if you have enough trucks to have variety with the trucks intact. I am just giving my opinion. Not telling you what to do. If I could afford it I would just have different trucks in my collection. If I need a cargo truck I would drive the cargo truck. If I was in the need for a tractor I would drive the tractor.

I think tractors can give you a variety by interchanging the trailers. HEMTT is another option. (I think I got the right vehicle) Interchangeable rear sections.

jesusgatos

We're probably only going to end up keeping three 5-tons. Two of them will be used primarily as motorhomes, and the third will be this supertruck. Registration and insurance are two big reasons to build modular trucks, and having the ability to reconfigure them to do different jobs while we're traveling is really appealing.

goldneagle

We're probably only going to end up keeping three 5-tons. Two of them will be used primarily as motorhomes, and the third will be this supertruck. Registration and insurance are two big reasons to build modular trucks, and having the ability to reconfigure them to do different jobs while we're traveling is really appealing.
What about a M931 or M932 and a variety of trailers. The issue would be a CDL since it is required in KALIFORNIA, I believe. I was going to do that but don't want to mess with CDL requirement.

So would you be selling the wrecker bed if you do build this super truck? I have a friend that might be interested in it if you do. He wants to mount the wrecker bed on a commercial truck chasis to aide his main wrecker in recoverys. He says it would just be for lifting and winching, not actual towing. Just an idea he has. I am looking for the front vice for my wrecker if you have one or know of one looking for a good home.

jesusgatos

What about a M931 or M932 and a variety of trailers. The issue would be a CDL since it is required in KALIFORNIA, I believe. I was going to do that but don't want to mess with CDL requirement.
We have several M931A2's, and they're great trucks, but want/need a little more length/space and don't want to have to tow a trailer all the time. Want to be able to carry my M109 motorhome box, and that would only fit on a tractor if I removed the spare tire carrier.
Nice!! I use my wrecker all the time.
You need any Snatch blocks for your wrecker?
Probably, yes. Will need a bunch of pulleys to make this whole center-mount winch thing work.
So would you be selling the wrecker bed if you do build this super truck? I have a friend that might be interested in it if you do. He wants to mount the wrecker bed on a commercial truck chasis to aide his main wrecker in recoverys. He says it would just be for lifting and winching, not actual towing. Just an idea he has. I am looking for the front vice for my wrecker if you have one or know of one looking for a good home.
Yes, the wrecker bed would be sold. Was built in 2011, is complete and still looks brand new. Like, the support legs have never hit the ground. Winches and hydraulics were last serviced/tested in 2013. Please tell your friend he's welcome to contact me about the wrecker bed if he might be interested in buying it. Have a couple wrecker vises that I've picked up over the years, but they're all being used. Might have one that needs to be rebuilt that I could part with. Shoot me a PM.

How much do you guys think a brand new wrecker bed is worth? That's a big part of this whole equation. Have to make sure it all adds up before I start taking anything apart. Also have to sell the leftover M923A2, which shouldn't be too hard, as the chassis and cab are both fresh rebuilds.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a 900 series complete bed and sold for less than $2500 after over 6 months. They do not sell easy.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Not as much as you might think. An SS member (can't remember his name) had a difficult time selling one.
Wow, that is surprising. What kinda condition was it in? Figured there would be a lot of people who might want to put one of these beds on another truck, something that might make a better tow rig. If I can't sell the wrecker bed for good money this whole project is kinda dead in the water...

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only real market for a wrecker bed would be to update an older series wrecker with a newer series wrecker bed. The wrecker frames are built for wrecker beds. Putting a wrecker bed on a normal 5 ton chassis would be pushing it.

Then if you were going to do this change out you would need 2 wreckers to perform the switch, not an easy task to line up outside of Georgia :) And then the 900 series rear winch is hydraulic versus mechanical so you have more components to switch out.

Doable but not to be taken lightly, thus the limited market so far.

I will ask my friend what he would be willing to pay for one. I should see him sometime this week.
I don't know if he would pay to much considering he would still need the commercial truck chasis.
And the fact of getting the bed from there to here.
As far as the vice I'd like to have a nice one, not to beat up. As my wrecker is more than a show off
truck that doesn't do much work. The name of the vice escapes me at the moment but its the big square looking one. I don't like the looks of the rounder wilton vices I've seen on some wreckers. But even one of those would be better than nothing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks