• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning my m1028 into a mountain shuttle

Pikesrider

I purchased an m1028 back in January and have been slowly trying to improve the truck. I recently painted it and put in new rubber mat and re-did the vinyl. This site has been a great resource. I've exhausted the 'search' function.

I also picked up troop seats and bows when I purchased it, and later got a cargo cover from CUCVFAN. Attached are some before and after pictures.

This past weekend it was used to shuttle back-country snowboarders and skiers up Berthoud Pass West of Denver. Future upgrades include a lift and tires, a custom-built overhead bike rack, and maybe a 700r4 so it can make those long trips.

driveway1.jpg interior2.jpg berthoud2.jpg

berthoud3.jpg berthoud.jpgdriveway.jpg

Last edited:

Pikesrider

My top speed going up Berthoud was about 40mph. The top of the pass is about 11,000 ft. I had a nice line-up of cars behind me. I pretty much stay in the truck lane and roll with the big rigs except they even pull away from me on the down hills.:(

jimmy-90

Man thats a heck of a job on the body paint!!! Looks REAL good. Love the black dashboard and door panels too. Im gettin ready to do my own dash and door panels black. Im probly gonna use krylon camo on the door panels but not sure what to use on the dash. Was wonderin what you used for that?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck!!!

I bought a cover for my M1028A1 from CUCVFAN as well. Great deal. Haven't put it on yet. Now I'm going to have to get it done.

Pikesrider

Thanks. I used the ColorBond stuff found in the LMC catalog for the dash and door panels. I am happy with it. Just put lots of coats on it. In a few spots on the door panels I didn't get enough of it on and it scratched off just a little. I think I'll throw another coat on them in the future and try using the Clear Coat Finish they sell.
I used 3 cans. I'd recommend you get 4 for dash and doors and you'll have a little left over for future touch ups.

wkbrdngsnw

So did you use the troop seats in the back or did you cram people in the front? What is the legality of riding in the back?

Berthod pass to me doesn't seem that bad since it has all those switch backs you can't go that fast anyways. Its more of a problem getting there. Did you take I-70 or highway 6? I don't take I-70 to Idaho springs anymore because its just too hard on the truck to go up and down rather then the canyon that is a nice constant 2-3% grade.

I would recommend a pyrometer since my 1009 would hit 1200 degrees in 2nd gear going up there before the turbo. Your truck won't be lugging the motor as bad but EGT's might be a good thing to know.

Pikesrider

I took I-70. 55 all the way. The traffic kept things slow. Yes, I wish these trucks came with more gauges...more things to spend your $ on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks