• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turning up the power on a Deuce

derby

This baby smokes and I mean smokes at idle and hold your breath at 2500 rpm!! I had to get out of the barn and catch my breath before I could go back in and observe things.

cbvet

Seems like most or all of the posts regarding fuel rate adjustments pertain to engines with turbos.
How about a non-turbo engine?
How can I tell whether mine is adjusted correctly?
Starts & runs great. Smokes quite a bit
Thoughts?
Eric
CBVET

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cbvet said:
Seems like most or all of the posts regarding fuel rate adjustments pertain to engines with turbos.
How about a non-turbo engine?
How can I tell whether mine is adjusted correctly?
Starts & runs great. Smokes quite a bit
Thoughts?
Eric
CBVET
Mine was N/A when I got it. It smoked, more so if only used for low rpm/low load situations, less after taken on a good hard run.
If the adjustments are still sealed on the IP, there is no reason to suspect that settings are off.
Keep the radiator covered even at higher ambients.

Of, course, after the turbo was installed the smoke "problem" was effectively taken care of.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mine was also a non-turbo (aka- N/A or a LD-465-1). It was a real smoker [at speed]. It seemed to smoke after increasing the throttle after it had reached max output at whatever RPM. It was not real strong.

After all the available O2 is used [in the chamber] additional fuel just makes smoke. This is fuel that has not burned completely. It does not add much to chamber temps or EGT, however the lack of any additional air does, indirectly, as -additional- air is cool and if there is no fuel available it will cool both chamber temp and EGT. Additional air also cleans up the emissions, smoke, which is only what the Army was after. Additional air and fuel does raise temp, and fast. When I added the -D- turbo that excess fuel turned into power, too much power, too, as the boost gauge pegged at high RPM . The EGT was high too, highest at low rpms (less boost there means less air). I lowered the pump settings about 1 1/3 turns, so as to build 12psi at 2500rpm. This is probably a lot higher than the std settings for the turbo(LDT-465) but still low enough to avoid dangerous EGT's while towing my heavy trailer. I would guess that my fuel settings were increased [before it came to me, prob in the Army] in an attempt to get some additional power, probably with little success. It was sealed so maybe the factory settings were just fat. Diesels really love to be turbocharged. It is easy add one and then easy to control the power output, and thus stress, by adjusting just one screw on IP pump( I did the droop screw too, for low/mid range) and monitoring a pyrometer and boost gauge. A healthy engine should be able to handle some more stress. Carefully managed and maintained of course.

I now have more power, and very little smoke. JimK

derby

Ok here is the history of this engine.TEAD overhauled,LDT 465 -1c C turbo ,out of the can and in to the truck.the fuel regulator on the pump is sealed.It is hard to start even warm,can you flood a diesel? I will get some pics of the exhaust .I just hope the fire Dept. dosen't show up thinking I am burning tires! also one other thing the GL guys bent some of the injector lines when they removed the cover.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
bent injector lines is a big no no. what color is the smoke? smoke is either unburnt fuel, antifreeze from somewhere or lube oil from somewhere. sometimes injectors will drip and it may knock and or smoke a lot at start up but will go away soon.does it run smoothly as in all cyls firing? are the lines bent enough to block fuel, they only have a very small hole in line, if fuel cannot go through line the pump is going to be very unhappy

derby

The smoke is black with a twist of grey and a dash of blue.mostly black and grey when it warms up.Last night I played with it and there is something goofy.Like I said it is hard to start.and when it does the throttle is mushy? not real responsive until you get up to 1500 rpm.also it will run on after you let off, it stays at the present rpm for a couple seconds,and then dives hard sometimes stalling.also when does the gov. kick in? it hit about 3+ grand before I let off in fear of ventalating it.I will try changing the injector lines tonight.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
sounds like you have mouse nests in the intake header. has the engine ever been open to rodents / insects while in storeage or while something was apart?? something is blocking the intake air. it would not hurt to put a healthy dose of fuel conditioner in it.

Westech

CPL
I would poor a bunch of that Diesel 911 in there.. another thing that really cleans it out is a gallon of paint thiner! Really no joke I have done it in the Multi and that really cleans the junk out of the pump.

FreightTrain

Banned
Have someone push the throttle down while you look at the linkage.Might have some rust from sitting and binding up.Also,check and make sure the Fuel shutoff is pushing in all the way.Again rust.Another thing to look at is the Injector for the cold start system.By the sound of it,when you get off the throttle it is still getting fuel somewhere even though the sudden drop to near stall sounds like a stuck governor.dump a bottle or ten of diesel additive and cleaner in there and see if it helps any.

derby

Removed the turbo to intake plenum adaptor and inspected it.no signs of rodents or nests.changed all injector lines.no change,the only thing i noticed is the turbo to plenum adaptor is sooty/greasy.it will not idle below 900rpm brfore it starts to surge up and down.Gov.bad or do I need to change IP? it is still hard to start also.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
does this have the cold start system intact and is the flame heater running all the time?? there could still be something up inside the intake manifold, mine had mouse nests in it until the engine ate them all up...........

derby

There is no cold start system on this engine.I did not even realize the intake manifolds were not the same between the two.I will get a mirror and look further into the manifold.I might change the IP ,it dosen't seem to be getting fuel at low throttle settings.It does not smoke at all when trying to start it .you have to give it a shot of either to get it going.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
as far as starting it that is exactly what mine did when the ip wore out. the starter could not turn it fast enough to start but starting fluid got it turning at 800 - 900 rpm and the worn plunger could make enough pressure to trip injectors. i rebuilt the ip head and runs perfect, but never did make too much smoke, in fact with a worn plunger you could expect less fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks