• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turns over but wont start

hoss0311

I have been doing some reading on here and so i went out and got a st85 glow plug relay and it started right up two times then i went for a drive turned it off and now it wont fire again. I have no idea what to do if someone can help me out that would be great. Thanks

Did it get cold again before you tried to restart it? If so, pull your glow plugs and check if they are swollen. Before that, do a search here and read through the section about diagnosing the glow plug circuits. Lastly, if that all checks out, think about fuel issues.

Ken_86gt

The fist thing I would look at the glow plug voltage- there should be around 12V at the plugs when the key is first turned on (cold engine) and the 'wait' light is on. If not voltage, start checking the relays.

Matt65

You could try to troubleshoot it with the TMs. Would probably save you some time. I have a link for the TMs in my signature.

Last edited:

86m1028

Sounds like a fuel issue to me.
Make sure your fuel solenoid is working.

Mine will start on a day like this without glowplugs

dmetalmiki

We had this problem with Dodge dakotas and the chevy cheyans bought from US. Disposals over here. And NEW computers solved the problem FOR A WHILE! this was an exasperating problem and apperantly ANYTHING from exhaust emision to faulty FUEL can cause Problems. Yes the computers can be re-programmed but what a PITA and expense! so we "got rid" quick. I ONLY run Non ECU types now. But in your case I would check the exhaust temperature sensor, and emission control. also there is a "sensor" that (apperantly) "checks" the fuel before it gets to the pump. So filters and TYPE of fuel very important. If there is ANYTHING out of sync these B... computers switch to NO-GO , We swapped computers from a "running fine "truck and LO it ran fine also. And these computers (if) run for a distance , say 20-30 miles Do re- program themselves to the "optimum" performance ( sorry- Supposedly!)

Ken_86gt

We had this problem with Dodge dakotas and the chevy cheyans bought from US. Disposals over here. And NEW computers solved the problem FOR A WHILE! this was an exasperating problem and apperantly ANYTHING from exhaust emision to faulty FUEL can cause Problems. Yes the computers can be re-programmed but what a PITA and expense! so we "got rid" quick. I ONLY run Non ECU types now. But in your case I would check the exhaust temperature sensor, and emission control. also there is a "sensor" that (apperantly) "checks" the fuel before it gets to the pump. So filters and TYPE of fuel very important. If there is ANYTHING out of sync these B... computers switch to NO-GO , We swapped computers from a "running fine "truck and LO it ran fine also. And these computers (if) run for a distance , say 20-30 miles Do re- program themselves to the "optimum" performance ( sorry- Supposedly!)
Uhhh these truck don't have any computers or sensors that will keep it from starting. The closest thing to a computer is the glow plug controller.

mistaken1

Download the TMs and follow them.

Diesel needs fuel, oxygen and compression to run. What's missing?

Is there any smoke from the exhaust when cranking? If so what color?

Stock 24v glow plug system or converted to 12V?

What resistance readings do you get on each glow plug?

Skinny

If you shut it off and it wont refire right after, sounds like a fuel issue. My glowplug setup didnt work and my rig would restart without issues until it sat long enough to cool down.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with ARMYTRUCKDRIVER,

All a diesel needs to run is air and fuel. Check the fuel filter.:beer:

I had a starting problem today and it turned out to be a bad connection to a sensor. Right side of engine (drives side) front 2-3 inches from glow plug. Have not look at any tm's yet but be leave it is a temp sensor to glow plug relay. once i had good connection glow plugs worked and engine fired right up.

BUT YOU DO NEED GLOW PLUGS TO START IT.... AND NOT ENOUGH GLOW AND NO START......I can be wrong OR not quiet right at times:twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks