• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turret Leak Fix Materials

GMVguy

Gentlemen,

To prepare for the eminent leaks this winter, I am attempting the instructions in the attached newsletter. It calls for a specific inner tube, which I am unable to find. Has anyone attempted this, or have the inner tube they can mail me? It's NSN 2610-00-051-9602

LeakFix.jpg

GMVguy

I assume this is the biggest problem... water leaking around the bolt holes. Couldn't I use the rubber from a large-enough inner tube to cover this "channel"? Maybe cur it to fit around the ring and then seal it under the little stock seal, over the bolt channel and then seal it to the roof using silicone, etc? Anyone have a better idea? Appreciate the help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those half moon retainer plates plates should have sealant applied to them and anywhere in between them, also your would seal around the bolts. That stripping you added might be a problem, the turret tray sits only maybe a 1/4 in of the top of the roof when it bolted onto the turret bearing. If you already haven't test fit it...I would now and make sure it does not interfere. And let me add....slantbacks leak! Period...and it your case, you have a GMV, so if it's raining your going to get plenty of water in the cab when you stop the truck....

GMVguy

Those half moon retainer plates plates should have sealant applied to them and anywhere in between them, also your would seal around the bolts. That stripping you added might be a problem, the turret tray sits only maybe a 1/4 in of the top of the roof when it bolted onto the turret bearing. If you already haven't test fit it...I would now and make sure it does not interfere. And let me add....slantbacks leak! Period...and it your case, you have a GMV, so if it's raining your going to get plenty of water in the cab when you stop the truck....
Thanks. Yes, I will be mocking everything up (as per your previous advice) before torquing this thing down. I was hoping the added weatherstripping would work, since it provides some cushioning and possibly a little leak prevention. Once I get the tray on maybe I'll come up with better ideas for keeping the water out of the channel. The one thing I'm not sure of is, can't I just cover up that channel completely? Then I'd only need to worry about water getting in within the turret bearing.

As for the GMV rear curtain area, I am fabricating a rear wall and sealing the bulkhead divider to prevent the stoplight bath. Thanks once again for your help!

readyman

When moving it seems there's a vacuum created in the cab that sucks rainwater in no matter what. :)
Puddling water accumulated in the lower ring channel will eventually seep/slosh in(hatch, thru-bolts). One time after a long trip I had 4 inches of water in the forward footwells, I installed boat 'drainplugs' in all the footwells to in help draining them out.

2w091

I tried chalking everything I could think would cause a leak, then weather stripped around the turret and rear hatch. I finally resigned myself that I'm getting wet regardless, especially when I stop or turn.
We use ours in bad weather almost exclusively, I'm not interested in looks, just functionality. I'd say I've reduced leakage about 80%, plus we keep it in a garage when not in use.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We use to just put a tarp over it. It actually says this in one of the ps mags or TM supplement.

GMVguy

Well, to make my turret leak a little less, here are my steps in applying the recommended maintenance in the above PS Magazine. I chose to use a 1/8" thick 4'x4' square of heavy duty rubber instead of an innertube. The hatch seals up nice and tight, and no water leaks in, after sealing the hatch hinge as indicated in the last picture. Hope this helps you guys stay dry!
IMG_8480.jpg IMG_8484.jpg
IMG_8486.JPG IMG_8488.JPG
IMG_8490.JPG IMG_8499.JPG
IMG_8491.JPG IMG_8520.jpg
IMG_8555.jpg IMG_8558.jpg

Last edited:

GMVguy

Yep. It stopped 90% of the water from coming in... even in a rainstorm. There are small gaps & creases that allow water in, but would be too much of a hassle to try and seal. This was a successful "axe approach" to weatherproofing!

persianhunter007

Good Deal. I am trying to figure out a way to seal up our departments HMMWV's.
If there are people trying to find a source of material to use as a gasket, In Afghanistan we had a similar problem and I had my wife send me a 20ft section of shower liner that they sell at home depot and it worked great. I used it to seal 2 vehicles because the rubber sealing material required longer bolts to use. We didnt have enough rubber and no longer bolts. We also installed a drain line in the track and ran it outside. This I think helped the most. Unlike public perception, Afghanistan gets a good deal of snow, sleet and rain and there are no sand dunes in most of it. It's more like Colorado but the mountains are bigger.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there are people trying to find a source of material to use as a gasket, In Afghanistan we had a similar problem and I had my wife send me a 20ft section of shower liner that they sell at home depot and it worked great. I used it to seal 2 vehicles because the rubber sealing material required longer bolts to use. We didnt have enough rubber and no longer bolts. We also installed a drain line in the track and ran it outside. This I think helped the most. Unlike public perception, Afghanistan gets a good deal of snow, sleet and rain and there are no sand dunes in most of it. It's more like Colorado but the mountains are bigger.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Which exact HomeDespot material did you source?

TIA,

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks