• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TV Bracket for 700R4 Transmission

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready to install a 700R4 transmission in my M1028.

Does anybody have a photo, or better yet, a GM part number for the TV cable bracket on a 6.2?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are pics in this thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?72264-Junkyard-Bounty&highlight=bounty Last I heard the little rod piece was available but the big bracket was not. I do not have my civi parts book here at work for part numbers. Good luck! I've had good luck getting them from pick a part yards but not seen one in over a year. I've sold a half dozen or so figuring I would find more but in light of the recent dry spell, I'm glad I kept one for my project.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the years that I have been messing with the CUCVs, I have only run across 3 of the brackets. I bought one on fleabay for ~$75 and only found two in the salvage yard.

Good luck on your quest.

cucvrus

What year do these brackets and cables come from? I know off a Suburban diesel 4x4 3/4 ton in the upullit. How hard are they to remove and where are they located on the vehicle?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two bolts and a pair of pliers. Located where the glow plug coolant sensor is located.

1982-1991 Suburbans
1982-1987 pickups

Which ever ones had the 700R4/4L60. Can't remember when they started introducing the 4l60E.

If the TV cable is in good condition you will want it also.

Last edited:

cucvrus

How does it if it does connect to the transmission? And do I need the throttle cable all the way from under the dash to the injection pump? I am assuming 15 mm drive heads on the bolts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get the bracket you don't need the throttle cable. Apparently they are sought out as well, I wasn't aware. I normally cut the TV cable between the back of the bracket and the firewall with side cutters. The linkage can be slid forward and taken off the slotted stud on the IP linkage then 2 15MM studs. Coolant sensor may need to come out. I've pulled enough that I can usually have it in my wagon in 5 minutes tops. Vans are a source as well. Have found a few 6.2 powered vans.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a brain fart. The Throttle Valve (TV) cable is the one you want. It clips on the bracket and if memory serves me there is a bolt holding it on the transmission.

And the actual throttle cable is getting hard to find so grab it also. And the transmission and transfer are worth some money.

15mm sounds correct. GM was known to use both SAE and metric

Been a couple of nights sleep since I have messed with one.

bracket.jpg

Here is a post with a picture of the bracket installed

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96285-700r4-TV-Cable-Bracket-Installation

bracket2.jpg

Last edited:

K9Vic

In the years that I have been messing with the CUCVs, I have only run across 3 of the brackets. I bought one on fleabay for ~$75 and only found two in the salvage yard.

Good luck on your quest.
They are hard to find and $75 is a good price and I think I saw that one with that as the Buy-it-Now at $75. I thought about getting it as a spare, but did not.

I have seen them go as high as $200 on fleabay, so if you find one for under a $100 that is a good price.

If you do look on the Internets, the best search is "TV bracket 700R4" or "TV bracket diesel"

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK folks, I have acquired the correct TV bracket from a fellow SS member and have ordered a new TV cable GM 25515599. Now I am turning my attention to collecting the other parts. I plan to have a 700R4 built with a 30-spline tail shaft to fit my NP208 and have found the tall transfer case adapter GM14038683. Next on my list is to purchase a new flex plate and torque converter (I would appreciate GM part numbers for these). Then all is left will be the transmission. Instead of sourcing a 700R4 and sending it out for rebuild, I will probably order one with the 30-spline tail shaft from one of the many firms offering such services. Stay tuned, more updates coming.

Chaski

I thought the only two spline count choices were 27 or 32. That being said a 27 spline input for a NP208 is common and inexpensive. Plus it is pretty easy to install. No special tools needed. Only trick is to get some A/Trans "Assemble Goo". Goo helps hold the needle bearings for assembly. All you need is some RTV to seal the case back up. The 32 spline input you currently have can be sold and you will probably only be out $20. I'll see if I can dig up the flexplate number. I love my 700r4, however it took fiddling around with the governor and other things to get it shifting right.

I used an aftermarket flexplate from Summit Racing, it was an ATP Z-136.

I highly suggest the Sonnax "smart shell" sun shell. If you have input to what your builder uses I think they are superior to "the beast" sunshell. The Sonnax one is carries thrust load with a bearing and is supposed to help planetary life because of the re-direction of thrust load. Plus the shell is strong.

Other than that it is a mix of mojo and magic. I have a servo out of a 4l70... I think. It is larger than any of the v6 or v8 servos, but smaller then the corvette one. Some decent clutches, a good rebuilt converter, a good pump and a full transgo kit and I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks