• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Twin Sticked NP205 Front Axle Pops out of Gear

biggestc69

Like the title says, I twin sticked my NP205, scared of grinding the rails too much and allowing it to shift into Front High and Rear Low or vise versa I bought a set of rails from JKW Offroad. Quailty of the grinds looked good and while I was switching from the NP208 my truck came with we converted it over. Well it worked like a dream! I have lockers front and rear and turning around in a creek bed was a nightmare 12 point turn. With the twin stick just set the e-brake put it in front low and walk the front end around. I wasnt manuvering like a jeep through the woods but I could go places I never could before. Used it all summer and I was always pleased with it. Anyway I'm getting off topic the other day we were down in the creek playing around and I lost all momentum. Looked over at my buddy and he's giving me the universal, no front tire turning signal. So I look down and sure enough the front stick is in neutral. Well I push it back in and go some more, same thing happens. No popping or grinding, this time I am feeling for the detent, nothing on the front rail, it just falls into place. Get up under there hoping for linkage out of adjustment or it hitting the body, no such luck. Do you guys think that the spring and detent are shot on the front rail? The other rail works like a charm and this came out of a M1031 so I would imagine that he miles were fairley low so I wouldnt think that the shift fork would be worn that much already. But I'm no expert either. Once it warms up I will drain it and fish around up there with a magnet, the problem is that I have a PTO on the side of it so I can't pop the inspection cover and see whats happening. The way I understand it is that the PTO teeth are setup like the teeth on a rearend and need to have the proper engagement? Or is that just hearsay? If anybody has any idea's or has had a similar problem I'm all ears. Thanks for your time guys.

Cameron

biggestc69

Thanks Porkysplace, thats why I havent taken it off yet. Not getting those teeth shimmed right scares me. Has anybody had any problems with a low mileage NP205 poping out of the front axle? I've ordered a couple new springs and detent balls hoping thats the easy fix, doubt it. I can't find much on the net about it. They are all high mileage with worn out shift forks and I have a hard time believing that a low mileage transfer case's shift forks are already worn to the point where they wont hold it in gear. I would also suspect the grind job on the shift rail but it worked amazingly for the whole summer so I cant see why it would all of a sudden quit. But when you move the front axle lever it just falls into place you cant feel the "click" like you can on the rear axle shifter.

biggestc69

Nobody has run into a problem like this before??? Or as usualy am I just the lucky one? lol Lets just say take out the twin stick part and go with "NP205 pops out of gear". I've been inside a a NP203 before differnet animal and that was over 15 years ago so my skills and knowledge are a little rusty so any help, mercy street if somebody could throw me a bone on some possiblities I would be most greatful!

Cucvnut

You might get more responses if you break down your post in to paragraphs. I'm not going to read a huge block of words. Also you should post stuff like this in the cucv hotrod section.

biggestc69

Thanks for the help Cucvnut, English isnt my strong suit thanks for pointing it out. Its kinda a pain for me to type since I have crippling arthritis which I picked up from a rare type of lung cancer which is related to the burn pits while I was in Iraqi Freedom 1. This weather compounds my problem typing and just getting the message on the board is chore enough let alone worry about High School grammar.
"Well how do you work on your truck with such bad arthritis?" I have to pay someone to do something that I excelled at. I just turned 31 and I have to pay to have someone work on my stuff. When we get stumped we come here and so far I've been more than thrilled about logging on try to help others regardless of paragraph placement. And I've been more than happy with the help and info that I've gotten on here fromn other memebers. Now if they break the other grammar rules then let the Admnin's handle it. Not in my pay grade with my lowley 212 posts to tell them one way or another.
I capitalize my senteneces, whether they are run on or not I apologize. And I'm sure some punctuation and spelling are also issues in my posts I'll move it over and see if anyone there can come up with anything. If any of the Admins want to delete this post since its in the wrong section, I would appreciate it since not only is my English under par my computer and forum skill are also. I dont want my modded post in here with the regular one, if thats not where it belongs.
I appologize for not being used to the newer format and I hope we can get this post earased.

Last edited:

sschaefer3

I am really sorry you got sick. I feel for you. I have a 203/205 doubler and chose not to twin stick it becasue taking that 205 a part to begin with, to put the new outputs in was not easy. I don't see how the ball and spring could have fallen out, but you may want to see if the poppet cap broke and fell off. That happened to me when I put it back on and I got another one from ORD. This is the cap that puts pressure on the spring and ball. They break easily.

biggestc69

Thank you for your support sschaefer3! It means more than you'll know. If your freed up I've started the same post in the modified section and have a couple quesitons If you've got a minute?