• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Twin trailer mounted MEP802's

Plane Fast

Well finally got around to looking over my 802's I bough this summer. First thing
I did was pull the exhaust and intake manifold. Thankfully the gens had zero signs of water!:clinto:image.jpg image.jpg(That is paint not rust)

I think this is due to the fact that they lived their lives on a
trailer. Which was usually tilted forward, so rain did not pool up on the top.

Number one gen has 600hrs and number two has 1300.image.jpg

I changed out the fuel lines and filters. Drained the radiators and flushed out the fuel tanks best I could. The battery's are weak, but I think I can get them back. On priming the fuel pumps. I found it's best if they have set for a while without running. Crack the fuel line at the top of each pump. Use the electric pump to pressurize the system good. Then crank the motor a bit. Then let it sit for an hour or two. The fuel should help get the plunger unstuck. I had good luck with this once I remembered to do it on the second gen. I did have to replace the starter on the #2 gen. The solenoid was bad.image.jpg Found it was just as cheap to just get a whole new starter.

Once the battery's were charged up good. I gave it a go at starting them.image.jpg They fired right up!:beer: Oil pressure was good and both had normal water temps. I only had time to check the voltage at the convenience receptacle .
No load test yet. I want to go through and check for any wire chafing. Found a few spots that will need rubber to protect the wire bundles.
I want to do the fuse mod as well.

They need paint and good cleaning. Not sure what I will do with them yet. Power here is very reliable. Even during the last Cat 1 hurricane. The power never went out.

Last edited:

Chrispyny

Let us know what you plan on for paint. I have a 22 hour, year 2000 802, and it was also on a trailer. However, the carc is a little faded and i think it would look great with a new coat of paint. Just not sure which is best for a genset that sits outside all the time in upstate NY weather.

Awesome package and good job on the first start procedure.

Plane Fast

I'm just going to use the Bahr house paint in 383 color. It seems to hold up real well.
As for keeping the water out. Pole barn would work, but I would pipe the exhaust in a way that rain could not get in.

Guyfang

Staff member
If the set is level, and has a rain cap/flap, no rain will enter the set through the exhaust. We also took to RTV'ing some weather stripping around the hole in the top cover. Nothing big, just enough to keep water out.

Your Power Unit setup will not allow you to use a canvas cover unless you rig up something Rube Goldberg. Covering the whole thing with a tarp keeps moisture trapped under the tarp, and we found it a wonderful place for mice to live in.

CARC paint is NOT good for your health. I would not sand it without a GOOD respirator. And painting is something we could only have done in an airtight shop, special air exhaust filtering system and you have to wear an space suit. I had to send my equipment to Manheim, 200 klicks away, as the ZEPPELIN company was the closest paint facility.

Looks and sounds like you got a great deal! You seem to be on top of the maintenance. Good show. Now you need to try the parallel gear out. Open the box up and check for moisture. The lights for the box are hard to find, or were a while back. Read the book on paralleling operations. Its easy, but never hurts to refresh yourself.

Last, a safety tip. I know I sound like an old lady, but NEVER remove the front generator without deploying the rear leg. I know it sounds like a no brainer, but I saw it happen 4-5 times.

Plane Fast

If the set is level, and has a rain cap/flap, no rain will enter the set through the exhaust. We also took to RTV'ing some weather stripping around the hole in the top cover. Nothing big, just enough to keep water out.

Your Power Unit setup will not allow you to use a canvas cover unless you rig up something Rube Goldberg. Covering the whole thing with a tarp keeps moisture trapped under the tarp, and we found it a wonderful place for mice to live in.

CARC paint is NOT good for your health. I would not sand it without a GOOD respirator. And painting is something we could only have done in an airtight shop, special air exhaust filtering system and you have to wear an space suit. I had to send my equipment to Manheim, 200 klicks away, as the ZEPPELIN company was the closest paint facility.

Looks and sounds like you got a great deal! You seem to be on top of the maintenance. Good show. Now you need to try the parallel gear out. Open the box up and check for moisture. The lights for the box are hard to find, or were a while back. Read the book on paralleling operations. Its easy, but never hurts to refresh yourself.

Last, a safety tip. I know I sound like an old lady, but NEVER remove the front generator without deploying the rear leg. I know it sounds like a no brainer, but I saw it happen 4-5 times.
A lot of the mep802's I looked at had water pooled down into the exhaust. (GL lots) It was probably from them not making sure the cover was seated.

My gen's will stay on the trailer. (The other fellow on here is looking to cover his.) I do keep it parked out of the weather though.

I need to finish the fuse mod and hook up the solargizer on both units. I'm sure I will have some questions on the parallel gear. I tried out the transfer and it did show that it was live. (Yes the bulbs are old school!)

Yeah the CARC is nasty. I don't sand, just scrap off the old cracked paint and power wash.
[thumbzup]