• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Twin turbo 1009

Stalwart

Unless the turbos are TINY, it is pointless, the 6.2 can't handle the power available from the airflow potential for a single properly matched turbo.

Wont smaller twin turbos spool faster and have a broader power band then a single larger turbo? Ive always wanted a diesel with a compound boost setup. Either a turbo feeding a supercharger or two different sized superchargers small feeding the big.

Stalwart

Sure they will spool faster but that normally isn't a problem. The 6.2 really will only hold up to LOW boost levels and sized properly that isn't an issue. On Diesels, since they move so much air, spooling isn't a problem at low boost levels. Spooling to say 50PSI would take time but if I remember correctly, a 6.2 shouldn't see much more than 7 psi and that should be available before 1400 or so rpm.

Stalwart

unless its a custom build then i could handle more then 7 psi it all depends on what gaskets you install
Even with fire rings and studs, you aren't going to fix a 6.2. What about all the head cracking problems, cooling issues and other failures? Those were issues when it was naturally aspirated and making 150 hp. All those problems won't go away with new head gaskets.

BTW, I'm a happy 6.2 owner!

Last edited:

det rebel

btw i own 5 6.2s and am proud of them too and the reason they cant hold more then 7 is cause of the gaskets and how it is set up but actually they dont have many problems with the sidewinder kit on them cause as long as you dont go crazy or keep your foot in it till you hit 1200 degrees (alot of people do thats when cracking starts and other problems follow ) they can handle the extra horses (nothing like and ol cummins and wont be close)

ODdave

6.2's are a decent engine but just dont expect much more than dissapointment if you try to push them to hard. GM designed them to be a people hauler + fuel economy engine, NOT a industrial workhorse. Also keep in mind Stanadyne rates the DB2 pump on our trucks to provide a maximum of 25hp per cylinder. You can tweak it to get a little more but you run the risk of damage in it as well.

Imo, a 6.2 will perform quite nicely with an injector balance and a smaal fuel increase on the pump.

philjafo

I like the painted back windows and just a guess but if you don't have any knowledge about turbos and moters you don't build a moter like that, you pay someone to build it for you either way the 6.2 is a **** tough moter and I've seen them drive back to the moterpool after blowing a hole in the side of the block with a broken connecting rod, I've seen them overheat to the point of vaporlock in the ip (we poured a canteen over it to cool the ip and it fired right up again) I've read on this site of moters that go over 200000 miles I know they won't come close to duramax or cummins power levels but the 6.5 ain't. To different and the army still uses it in the hmmwv.

det rebel

true actually there is very little difference between the 6.2 and 6.5 the turbo and the ELECTRONICALLY controlled injection pump and a small change in injector pop off presser and you have the same engine

and only reason cummins is got much better is cause of the inline setup

197thhhc

I have put many turbo kits on 6.2l engines as a GM tech. We put them on the hotshot hauling trucks. After 100,000 miles with the turbo we would put a new engine in and reinstall the turbo. We only did this because the turbos caused heavy ring wear. These were bone stock engines. If they had been beefed up a little they would have went further. If you tune one correctly and watch boost and EGT they will run great. They may not measure up in power and torque by todays standards but they are serious workhorse engines.

det rebel

197thhhc they are a work horse and i bet if youll put some better pistons and rings then they would have probably hit 150000 to 200 easy and how many engines could youll go thru before rebuilding the turbo ?

Had to replace the 6.2 diesel in my Scottsdale this week. Had seen plenty of use through penndot and the abuse i put it through for bout 7 years now with a banks sidewinder. I have nothing bad to say about them. I use mine hard as a truck should be, Crank broke on me on the last rod journal and STILL RAN! They hain't the fastest or most powerful engines out there by any means, but I'm running 40's with 4.88 gears and a sm465 if you know how to shift her she'll git you where you want to go at her own pace and run plenty cheap doin it too. I like em:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks