• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Twin Turbo Deuce

nk14zp

Thought about pane my self.What psi will the hg take.I have seen a multi that turned 3400 rpm for 3yr then i left it was still runing strong.We also had my m816 at 2800rpm and my old m818 at 2750 rpm.

mudguppy

out of curiosity, what would be the motivation for using propane? from what i've read, the injection pump is already capable of being turned up past what the stock engine can take so there wouldn't be a need for propane simply for power gains.

typically you only need to go to 'pane when you don't have enough #2 or want to use it for mileage due to lower cost. propane will simply bring a lot of egts at an unregulated timing event.

davesgmc

Want smoke????? Want to avoid detonating your engine???? How about you just put a fitting in the pipe just after the turbo and inject a spray of raw diesel , that ought to get you about the same results. Not sure if the EGT would be high enough to cause it to ignite or not, might not be enough oxygen. Lots of smoke, wasted fuel going up the stack as smoke and no worries about turning your multi into a boat anchor. :lol:

inject propane into the exaust and a spark plug,,,you wont have smoke any more,,,,just FLAMES!! and watch the trees!!! THEY WILL CATCH FIRE!

Last edited:

mudguppy

Its a catalyst .also will drop intake charge temp.
it's fuel, not a catalyst. a catalyst initiates or accelerates a reaction. propane doesn't make the fuel burn better or faster - it's just more fuel [and more egts]. if you add more fuel, you still need more air to burn it.

also, unless it's injected into the intake charge in it's liquid form, it will not decrease the intake charge temperature. properly designed systems incorporate a fuel warmer to ensure that the propane does not enter as a liquid. this is usually done w/ engine coolant.

normally propane only burns once the diesel is injected and ignites. however, especially in high compression engines (like the multi), you run a very real risk of the propane auto-igniting before the diesel is injected which would jack your combustion pressure higher than you'd like. this is also possible if too much propane is injected.

propane was all the [advertised] rage in the diesel world 5 or 6 years ago for "power adding." now it seems to be mainly used as a diesel fuel supplement for operating cost improvements. there are better (more controllable) ways of making power.

mudguppy

propane is always a good way to decrease diesel consumption. as long as propane costs are lower than diesel, it's overall cheaper to run.

tm america

yes you could put twin turbos on there but probably get more power one feeding the other.less lag that way .second you'll have to get more fuel to it maybe 5ton injectors and recurving the ip.but the big qeustion is will the rods take it.my guess is no they dont hold up in a stock motor at high rpms.so you'll have to deal with that to and find a way to keep the heat down propane ,water injection .intercooler something.i think if you just got better rods in there you could change the springs in the gov and just by getting an extra five or six hundred rpms end up making alot more power without having to reinvent the wheel

det45

Very interesting thread.

Several people have already mentioned using intercoolers to lower the charge air temp, which is something that I have been giving some thought to recently. There really isn't much room between the radiator and grill for a air-to-air intercooler without moving some things around, didn't seem too practical to me.

I've been thinking of using an air-to-water intercooler, which tends to be more efficient anyway. A fairly thin, but tall and wide heat exchanger could be mounted between the radiator and grill without much trouble. I have several sources for both types on intercoolers and am currently working on a source for custom units.

Does anyone know the CFMs these engines require?

Any input on this would be appriciated.

russ81

Does anyone know the CFMs these engines require?

Any input on this would be appriciated.
A 466ci engine running 2,000rpm would equal 932,000 cubic inches per minute. Divide this by 1,728 (12x12x12) would give you a CFM of 539. This would be with no turbo. A turbo would compress the air making you use more air then would have space for it.......thus the compression.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
twin turbo

I have a friend who has been a National tractor pulling champ and expert on diesels. We have been talking about this and his thoughts are to fit a larger turbo in front, in line with the stock turbo and then install a water injection in to the intake. However I did not know that the engine had such high compression. Still....

David

DanMartin

I think it's important to keep this in perspective. The Multi was designed in the late 50s, and while technically advanced in it's day, this is *not* like a Cummins 24V. It's an old motor designed within certain parameters to be reliable (not powerful!). Turning up the fuel and bumping the injector timing are about all you want to do on these motors for more power...and even then you do so at your own risk.

Put a Cummins or Detroit or small Cat V8 in if you want to build a hot-rod. You'll be happier in the long run.

Of course, that's just my opinion...

bigdog12

I have thought about all these same things before,but I called Hercules and talked to them about the difference in the LDT and LDS and really couldnt get anything but one is turbo and the other is super charged.I ask about different pumps,rods,valve train,but couldnt get an answer.Does anyone else know?If 180 hp in a 5ton whats different? I have a friend that drove them in the early 70s,he said the five tons did seam to have alot more problems breaking cranks and other stuff.