• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Twinning the exhausts on an 003A?

ctfjr

Has anyone tried this? I have been thinking about using a "Y" fitting to twin the 2 1-1/4" exhausts into one 2" pipe. Any know issues? The only thing I thought of was the possiblity of some back pressure, I think the "Y" fitting should negate that.

Ray70

:ditto: Who knows.... the "Y" fitting might even create a slight scavenging effect and make it run better!
Definitely can't forsee any problem with it...

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran them together, to collect the exhaust, & to get it out from under the trailer canopy mainly. I used a 2" pipe. Sorry, no pictures availiable at this time. I'm running off my laptop - the main PC is down right now. But I think I have posted the pictures before. Especially under one of Spedmons (SP) threads titled under something like, "What have you done to civilize your MEP". The most likely time that we will have a power failure here, is when its extremely cold (like tonight - its an honest -48*F), and you need the tarp to control heat loss. If you don't collect the exhaust, and get it out from under the tarp, it will make a terrible mess with with frozen condensation, etc.

ctfjr

Thanks for all the replies - I think I'm going ahead with it. Right now the genset sits between 2 garage doors & I have the SS flex lines (when used with laundry setup?) that I just stretch out the doors onto my gravel driveway - puts the ends about 6 feet away & pointing away from the garage. What I want to do is bring the lines up & over one of the doors & vent it thru the wall. Trying to make switching over to the generator as easy as possible for my wife.

I don't think I have to worry about your freezing issues Rosco :) My dad spent the war in Fairbanks & from what he said about the weather. . . btw I've been to Delta Junction - I took a solo motorcycle ride from Connecticut to Alaska in '05

CDR

Thanks for all the replies - I think I'm going ahead with it. Right now the genset sits between 2 garage doors & I have the SS flex lines (when used with laundry setup?) that I just stretch out the doors onto my gravel driveway - puts the ends about 6 feet away & pointing away from the garage. What I want to do is bring the lines up & over one of the doors & vent it thru the wall. Trying to make switching over to the generator as easy as possible for my wife.

I don't think I have to worry about your freezing issues Rosco :) My dad spent the war in Fairbanks & from what he said about the weather. . . btw I've been to Delta Junction - I took a solo motorcycle ride from Connecticut to Alaska in '05
Hey no chance your name is rob?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....."Y" fitting to twin the 2 1-1/4" exhausts into one 2" pipe......
Not wishing to be a smartie pants or anything (you know, pie r squared etc..,) but all you need is 1 3/4" for the single pipe of the 'Y' to keep the same flow resistance. I do not know how a larger than needed pipe will effect anything, especially as the exhaust ports aren't exactly 'smooth flowed' like a performance header or that there is anything beyond the 1.25 now. Again, it also depends on how far you are piping the exhaust too and how many/type of, bends there are.

Will probably be doing this mod too, though it will only be as a 'plug in' for the static location next to the shop, otherwise it will run 'open' when out and about on its trailer.

Triple Jim

Zeb, where do you get your 1-3/4" pipe? (not tubing, pipe) :) I'm pretty sure he wants to use standard threaded pipe and fittings for simplicity.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zeb, where do you get your 1-3/4" pipe? (not tubing, pipe) :) I'm pretty sure he wants to use standard threaded pipe and fittings for simplicity.
From the local tubing-pipe shop!
I was probably assuming that this was going to be done in auto exhaust pipe, not black pipe-tube. With maybe a S/S flex connector before getting solid on the building?

ctfjr

From the local tubing-pipe shop!
I was probably assuming that this was going to be done in auto exhaust pipe, not black pipe-tube. With maybe a S/S flex connector before getting solid on the building?
lol - I work for a plumbing / heating distributor. I have plenty of 2" pipe available as well as standard fittings - tho I may have to ask one of our customers to weld me up "Y"

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple of pictures, of how I did mine. I used 2" auto exhaust pipe. If you start using water pipe, I would be cautious of the weight. Those Genneys are not real smooth, and vibrate a lot - you might cause the manifold/muffler too fatigue and break.DSCN4436.jpgDSCN4436.jpgDSCN4436.jpgDSCN4436.jpgDSCN4436.jpgDSCN4436.jpgWell not sure how I( accomplished this, or how to fix it.DSCN4490.jpgDSCN4475.jpgDSCN4479.jpgI used pre-formed bends and tubing from NAPA.

johnray13

I have seen a lot of commercial diesel sets, housed in a building, use a short piece of flex pipe between the set and the fixed exhaust, which is usually schedule 10 or 40 black pipe. Depending on the proximity to the surroundings, many are insulated as well.

ctfjr

That's a really nice looking job Rosco! Gives me pause to think. . . will probably still go ahead with sched 40 pipe but I was planning on cutting one of my SS flex lines & using a couple of pieces as vibration isolators - starting off right at the exhaust pipes with them. The sched 40 pipe would be well supported from the wall - probably use some strut & standoffs.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed for ideas. Just scored a -003A on a M116A3 out of Columbus . It will need exhaust mod.

John Sowden

Hi Rosco, I is that exhaust system working out? Also would you have the part # for those pipes? from NAPA Thanks John.
Here are a couple of pictures, of how I did mine. I used 2" auto exhaust pipe. If you start using water pipe, I would be cautious of the weight. Those Genneys are not real smooth, and vibrate a lot - you might cause the manifold/muffler to o fatigue and break.View attachment 471285View attachment 471285View attachment 471285View attachment 471285View attachment 471285View attachment 471285Well not sure how I( accomplished this, or how to fix it.View attachment 471286View attachment 471287View attachment 471288I used pre-formed bends and tubing from NAPA.