• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two and a half tons and lifts

2A Bob

Hello everyone! I am new here and also new to forums.
I am planning a pole barn, and would like to get into two and a half ton trucks.
I have a question .
Looking at these trucks I do not see a good way to lift them with a two post lift?
I t would appear that the first tandem axle would be very much in the way?
As I am in the planning stages for a building I was going to include a two post lift. That would be for more than just military vehicles.
Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone! I am new here and also new to forums.
I am planning a pole barn, and would like to get into two and a half ton trucks.
I have a question .
Looking at these trucks I do not see a good way to lift them with a two post lift?
I t would appear that the first tandem axle would be very much in the way?
As I am in the planning stages for a building I was going to include a two post lift. That would be for more than just military vehicles.
Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
The dollars that to purchase a lift for a Deuce would be several times the cost of the truck. A first class ten ton floor jack and lots of 6x6 or 6x8 or 8x8 wooden blocks (cribbing) would be a safe way to block up your truck. Pictures below for rubber cribbing and a big floor jack...

Super 10-Ton Floor Jack.jpg Super Stacker Cribbing (6x7x24).jpg

So, that fancy stack of twelve pieces of rubber cribbing (blocks) sell for about $2100 shipped. The floor jacks that I looked up on Amazon were between a $1000 and $1800.

If you are willing to do a little more "grunt work" and use big blocks of wood and big (read that as heavy) bottle jack you could come in at under a grand for something to lift with and maybe 40 blocks of wood... Be sure to stack the blocks correctly - picture below.

Super Stacker Cribbing - WOOD - Don'tDie!.jpg Super Stacker Cribbing - WOOD.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I thought the deuce BII specified a 10 ton bottle jack. That is what I have in each one of mine, correct or not.
I am looking for the TM just so we can have the "official" word, but so far I keep falling on my face with the search...

Found a post (below) for the Deuce Jacking Procedure:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/deuce-jacking-procedure.200008/post-2329846

Unfortunately, no mention of the tonage required for the jack. Having a 10 ton bottle jack should be more than enough when a 10 ton lifts both wheels on all axles easily - in my opinion.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just jack it up and put it on jack stands. If you are working on an unimproved surface, cribbing might be better. These trucks are pretty high off the ground sitting on the wheels so clearance is not an issue. Every truck I have owned has spent time sitting on jack stands with all or some of the wheels off while I was repairing something. I can't imagine needing a lift to service them.

Of course if you have the $ to spend, or just want it (my universal excuse), then go for it.

m715mike

What is the benefit of having a four post lift like that? Is it simply to prevent you from crawling on the ground or getting on a creeper?

I’m not trying to be a smart a$$... I’ve never had the opportunity to use a lift and don’t know what the benefit is.

It seems that everything I’ve needed to do on my Deuce, I could do with all 6 tires on the ground. That is, except for working on tires/axels and the four post lift pictured above would not help with that since the tires are resting on the lift. If I need to remove a tire, I just get out the bottle jack and jack stands.

Crf450x

What is the benefit of having a four post lift like that? Is it simply to prevent you from crawling on the ground or getting on a creeper?

I’m not trying to be a smart a$$... I’ve never had the opportunity to use a lift and don’t know what the benefit is.

It seems that everything I’ve needed to do on my Deuce, I could do with all 6 tires on the ground. That is, except for working on tires/axels and the four post lift pictured above would not help with that since the tires are resting on the lift. If I need to remove a tire, I just get out the bottle jack and jack stands.
It’s 1000 times easier to work standing up than it is rolling around on the ground. And typically you’ll have rolling jacks on a 4 post lift for when you need the tires off the ground. I don’t know of any situation where you’d “need” a lift but you only need to use one once to understand why people buy them.

fleetmech

I apologize for the sidetrack, but why such a drastic difference between A2s and A3s? I would think they weigh roughly the same.
I cant say about the difference, but my 3.5 (or maybe its 4?) ton Napa trolley jack is plenty to lift a complete rear axle up, or one front corner. Frankly, it could probably pick the whole front up, but I didn't bother.

Thats how I did my complete hub service a few months ago. For cribbing, I grabbed my chain saw and cut some big ol' timbers out of a roughly 36" red oak trunk.

I've been looking at 2 post lifts myself for all my other stuff, sadly there's no good way to fit a deuce on one.

V8srfun

It is simply convenient more than anything. It takes time to put the truck up on cribbing and the lift will get the truck in the air in about half of a minute.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
4 post is the way to go.
I don't have the (1) concrete pad or the (2) steel building - so I won't be installing a lift any time soon. Definitely until those two things get done first!

Any idea about a rough cost might be for a 4 Post Lift?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks