• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two engines

donkdonk

it's quite unfortunate that the OP continues to get such negative feedback for posing a modification question in the 'Modification and Hot-Rodding forum'.

oh, wait - this is SS...... i keep forgetting. :roll:
Come on now, under the circumstances this is nothing.

Hop on over to Pirate4x4 and ask a question like this... you will soon feel like you have been raped and pillaged by a group of chimps.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If my somewhat chemically altered memory serves me I think one of the old US APC's had twin engines...one on each side of the passenger compartment....I think they were Chevy's.
Unlike the M113 they were made of steel and heavy.

militarysteel

really like the 7.8 liter "hypercycle" Multi Fuel engine that is in there, Germans make good stuff. Some say much better then the 6.6 cat with automatic.

mudguppy

Come on now, under the circumstances this is nothing.

Hop on over to Pirate4x4 and ask a question like this... you will soon feel like you have been raped and pillaged by a group of chimps.
no, you're right. however, it's documented on here that i've said before: besides pirate4x4, this is the most hostile forum that i've been a member of when it comes to conceptual criticism.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If my somewhat chemically altered memory serves me I think one of the old US APC's had twin engines...one on each side of the passenger compartment....I think they were Chevy's.
Unlike the M113 they were made of steel and heavy.
How about the M59 APC.....
(Full article in the PS magazine section)

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no, you're right. however, it's documented on here that i've said before: besides pirate4x4, this is the most hostile forum that i've been a member of when it comes to conceptual criticism.
Most of us may want to adhere to the "Military Vehicle Preservation" concept, although I have personally posted a number of engineering solutions to "problems". I draw a line when it comes to posting solutions that may be patentable and some "conceptual" ideas and their solutions fall into that category...

rmgill

it's quite unfortunate that the OP continues to get such negative feedback for posing a modification question in the 'Modification and Hot-Rodding forum'.

oh, wait - this is SS...... i keep forgetting. :roll:
As Bjorn says, the preservation aspect of this hobby tends to cause some to frown heavily on major alterations.

Mind you the majority of the objections has been that with the addition of a second engine to a deuce, the question is where to put it? You're not going to fit it side by side in between the frame rails. So you're looking at a major alteration where it's high up outside the frame rails OR in back of the cab taking up a substantial portion of the bed.

How do you cool it? The radiator isn't going to be in the air stream.

How does it get connected into the drive line? The usual transfer boxes don't have a second input.

This isn't hostility, this is reality. Dual engine configurations are complicated. Most of the observations are that exact point, just perhaps not so politely articulate.

mudguppy

As Bjorn says, the preservation aspect of this hobby tends to cause some to frown heavily on major alterations. ...
then the preservation-ists shouldn't even open anything in the 'Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding' forum.

... Mind you the majority of the objections has been that with the addition of a second engine to a deuce, the question is where to put it? You're not going to fit it side by side in between the frame rails. So you're looking at a major alteration where it's high up outside the frame rails OR in back of the cab taking up a substantial portion of the bed. ...
so? the OP didn't say this was out of the question; he just wanted to know if it could be done.

... How do you cool it? The radiator isn't going to be in the air stream. ...
that's actually the easiest solution: radiators can be mounted anywhere with the addition of thermostatically controlled electric fans. this has been done on custom offroad trucks for 20+ years.

... How does it get connected into the drive line? The usual transfer boxes don't have a second input. ...
you could use a 'usual' transfer, albeit inverted. however, you would need to add a reverser to the input. rather, an easier solution would be to utilize either a boat drive or something like a pro-fab transer with an integrated reverser. these two would cost more $$, however, one could utilize a custom crank adapter to run a drive off of the front crank drive and would be back to the 'usual' yet inverted transfer.

clutching would be an obstacle in any application if the two power plants were not always to be run simultaneously.

... This isn't hostility, this is reality. Dual engine configurations are complicated. Most of the observations are that exact point, just perhaps not so politely articulate.
re-read some of the posts in this thread; they are not posts of "reality" but of determent by those that either can't offer solutions / advice or simply don't want to.

rmgill

that's actually the easiest solution: radiators can be mounted anywhere with the addition of thermostatically controlled electric fans. this has been done on custom offroad trucks for 20+ years.
I think you'll find that you still don't get the same airflow and cooling effects that you get with the engine in the airstream. This has been an issue of design and cooling on AFVs for nearly a century. Usually you have to oversize the radiator on the rear facing system.

you could use a 'usual' transfer, albeit inverted. however, you would need to add a reverser to the input. rather, an easier solution would be to utilize either a boat drive or something like a pro-fab transer with an integrated reverser. these two would cost more $$, however, one could utilize a custom crank adapter to run a drive off of the front crank drive and would be back to the 'usual' yet inverted transfer.
So you'll have engine [clutch] transmission, transfer case -transfer case- transmission [clutch] engine?

How long is this truck going to be? How many pedals will you have and how will you accomplish clutching?

You have two clutches and two transmissions? Put the Transmission downstream of the transfer box and you still have two clutches but no bellhousing.

I think you're over simpifying the problem. Given how I've examined some vehicles that have two engines, I think you'll find that having a combined case AND then some separate clutch mechanism is usually important. It's a rather custom task with some rather heavy lifting on the engineering side of things.

clutching would be an obstacle in any application if the two power plants were not always to be run simultaneously.
And shifting gears?

AN/ARC186

I still like the diesel-electric idea. It's used on mining trucks as well as locomotives with what I would call an "acceptable" success rate.............

All I can say is GO FOR IT GUNGIY!!! If we listened every time someone said it couldn't be done or it was a bad idea we'd still be sittin in caves pickin fleas off our backsides.

PackRatWrecker

A lot depends on when you intend to use it. If it is strictly for highway-speed boosting, an auxilliary transmission
is not needed. If you mount it outboard, behind the drivers seat(in place of the spare carrier), you could run a
right angle drive off the front end, connected to another right angle box attached to a transfer case pto. That would,
of course, require flipping the air tank brackets, and relocating them to the passenger side of the frame.

A tach for the 2nd engine should let you match rpm close enough to minimize grinding the pto dogs, when engaging it,
much like slip shifting a heavy truck transmission. All you would need on the back is a flexplate, and an appropriate guard.

A smallblock Chevy, with stock manifolds is right at 24" wide, about the same width as the fuel tank(on
the passenger side). An aluminum racing style radiator, properly shrouded, possibly with an outboard air scoop,
should handle cooling duty. A thermostatic controlled shutdown setup would be smart, so you don't shut down a
hot engine, just to re-fire it, too soon.

It would be high effort vs reward, but what the heck. I'm sure people told the Wright brothers that flying was for the birds.:mrgreen:

You might be crazy for trying it, but most of my friends think I'm crazy for buying a Deuce. What's the difference?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks